Front left tire noise -or a hub? Need your help everyone/Resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's humming noise from the front left tire - or is it a hub ???

Been going on for 6 months +, originally thought it was a tire, gets worse at higher speeds, truck does NOT pull to either side, tire looks ok.

Noise is now louder, so either the tire is worse, or the hub/bearing is getting worse.

I just started noticing on long sweeping right turns, that the noise COMPLETELY goes away, and as soon as I'm straight and level again, the noise comes right back.

Does this sound like a tire, or is this a hub/bearing?

(Ps. I drove 300 miles without incident on Monday, and the tire/wheel isn't loose if you jack up the truck and try to wiggle it. Tire spins freely as well, no grinding noise. This is driving me slightly crazy at this point.)

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at my previous thread from November, this smells like a hub.

Anyone know the "right" price for a front hub?

I have the AWD/4wd with the dash selector if that helps.

Going to book an appt today unless anyone thinks it's a tire - previous comments pointed out that a hub would change noises on a turn, it it does that for sure now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$763 is what I paid out the door at the dealer, probably overpaid a little(but last time I used an independent mechanic locally was severely disappointed)

It was a hub and not tires, truck drives perfect now.
i'm poor, jack it up, take wheel off, take 2 brake caliper bolts off put to side, take 3 bolts off hub. unclip abs harness, put new hub on, clip abs harness on, put 3 bolts on, put 2 bolts on brake caliper, put wheel back on. done
cost $177 (last time I purchased)
savings with 20 minutes of my time $600
4wd/awd involves one more step of 1 more bolt for the front axle, best done while wheel is still on the ground
difficultly level 2 out of 5, not hard at all
if rust is an issue use a bfh or torch
#tip's? turn wheel for easier access to bolts, use torque wrench during final re-assembly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019