Front End Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali
12/21/23
MILEAGE– 192,400
Started tear down to replace:
All 4 control arms w/ball joints, bushings, hardware
CV axles
Bearinghubs and bolts (3)
Innerand outer steering tie rods w/boots
Caster& camber adjusting kits
Rack& pinion bushings and mount
Rotors
calipersw/brackets
brakehoses
pads
DSCN8030.JPG
DSCN8034.JPG

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Denali w/193k miles.
Current tires are 5+ yrs old and 63K+ miles. The ball joits now have a little play in them. This is causing greater tread wear on the inside of these ole tires.
It needs a new set of tires, so I'm fixing the front end first.

@OR VietVet , I've been following the FJCruiser forum thread you've been doing :waytogo: I've had an 07 FJ since 2009. 227k miles, no issue(s) ever. Knock on wood.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
07 Denali w/193k miles.
Current tires are 5+ yrs old and 63K+ miles. The ball joits now have a little play in them. This is causing greater tread wear on the inside of these ole tires.
It needs a new set of tires, so I'm fixing the front end first.

@OR VietVet , I've been following the FJCruiser forum thread you've been doing :waytogo: I've had an 07 FJ since 2009. 227k miles, no issue(s) ever. Knock on wood.
I actually worked on the same FJ Cruiser today. I put new outside mirrors on it. The old ones had been Plasti Dipped and it looked like crap. Very easy to do. Took 1 hour to do both sides.

I followed an auction on B.A.T. today for a yellow 2007 FJ with a 6 speed manual. Went for $18,750 and had 106k miles on it. Was in Nevada. The biggest problem, IMO, was that it was a flat towed vehicle.

That FJ at the FJ Forum was a friend of mine's from the AL. It was a large labor job. But the owner could not be happier. It runs way better and has more power and he is a happy camper. But, it was a very involved and tedious repair but fixed better than new.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would kill for a lift. I live with my girl in a rental and the landlord lives on same block. He has 6 houses on the block and he has one huge garage area where he stores his boat and puts on special events and I kid him about putting in a lift all the time. I doubt that the floor is set up for it anyway.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m right behind you on the front end refresh. Just shy of 180k miles on untouched original, z95. It’s a comical bounce house.

It would of been done last year but something about a new 6L80 trans and $6.5 in other assorted parts sprung up.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving it for a couple of days now and everything is good.

Ole front brake pads were near minimum meat left. Upper ball joints were a little loose. Tires are at minimum tread 4/32s after 5+yrs and 63+k miles, and showing more wear on the inner tread.

I set the camber at +.5*degree, and toe 1/16th" in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo