Front brakes locking up!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mossy oak

Reaction score
Y'all I'm so lost on this issue! So I hit the brakes pretty hard and they stick as a pair on the front. Tap them again and they "unstick". They're super soft most of the time but after they stick and I tap them to unstick them, the pedal is much more firm! I haven't really tried anything yet cause I know so little about the ststem. Proportional valve sticking? ABS module? Any clues? Any way to troubleshoot them? Please help

OP
OP
M

mossy oak

Reaction score
Y'all I'm so lost on this issue! So I hit the brakes pretty hard and they stick as a pair on the front. Tap them again and they "unstick". They're super soft most of the time but after they stick and I tap them to unstick them, the pedal is much more firm! I haven't really tried anything yet cause I know so little about the ststem. Proportional valve sticking? ABS module? Any clues? Any way to troubleshoot them? Please help
Btw, it's only when I really get down on the brakes that they stick. Otherwise they are really soft

OP
OP
M

mossy oak

Reaction score
Anybody? I've searched but came up with nothing of little help

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first, general maintenance. Have you flushed the brake fluid? Check your pads and your disk rotors and grease the slide pins.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd check would be the master cylinder.

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First things first, general maintenance. Have you flushed the brake fluid? Check your pads and your disk rotors and grease the slide pins.

I second this motion.

I Had similar problems in the past with my Dodge Dakota and doing exactly these things solved the problems. I've also had problems with dry/sticky caliper pins on multiple Toyotas and am now in the habit of checking them on all of my vehicles twice a year.

OP
OP
M

mossy oak

Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I work nights so I've been asleep all day and obviously couldn't reply sooner. Ill try fluid. And slide pins soon and report back

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Where are you located? Rust and corrosion build up in your caliper brackets can cause similar problem. Also frozen slide pins. I'd take your calipers apart and take a file clean where your brake pads sit. Also clean inside your slide pin bores. Apply some anti seize.

OP
OP
M

mossy oak

Reaction score
Where are you located? Rust and corrosion build up in your caliper brackets can cause similar problem. Also frozen slide pins. I'd take your calipers apart and take a file clean where your brake pads sit. Also clean inside your slide pin bores. Apply some anti seize.
I live in Mississippi. The truck has lived here it's whole life. But I most certainly will try that. I'm fighting a few problems on it and have two little ines and a wife that's chronically ill so please y'all be patient with me. I also work nights so I may not be able to reply very timely but I'm trying and very thankful for y'all's responses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA