Free Travel Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Yes but the weld on the bracket protrudes up the frame slightly so sawzall it right up to the frame and then pry the rest off with vice grips then smooth down with a grinder.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have one...I don't bottom out on my 3/5 unless I have 7 people in the Tahoe & hit a big bump.

Cameron

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will have to do this come spring. thanks for the write up max. for the part of the bump stop bracket on the inside of the frame, is it just cut flush with the bottom of the frame?

Yes unfortunately it's a lot easier to just cut it flush with the frame. It's a lot harder then it looks to cut the piece you're removing without getting into the frame then smoothing out the frame. A lot of work but worth every bit of it.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
Jon that is such an insanely great job!
doesn't even look like the bump stop bracket was ever there to begin with
mine still has the protrusions up the frame
I started with a cutoff wheel to try and get it off but it took so damn long!!

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
I don't have one...I don't bottom out on my 3/5 unless I have 7 people in the Tahoe & hit a big bump.

Cameron

maybe I'm lower or maybe cause i have 24's I don't know but what i do know is that I'm always bottoming out i just hate the noise it makes when metal to metal hits one another everyone that's in my truck freaks out. I need to come up with a solution

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AirLift air assist kit. You can slide the air sleeves in the spring. You can run a few pounds of air in them to stiffen the ride & make minor ride height adjustments.

If you're already bottoming out a lot than a bumpstop will take away another 1/2 of travel...might bottom out more with less metal to metal noise...doesn't make lots of sense to me.

I'd look at the AirLift kit....

OP
OP
M

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
You may be hearing the coil bottoming out on itself, my tb coils do this when my truck is fully loaded up. I put some really thin bumpstops on my truck but I don't think the axle has ever contacted it, the coils are just too short and collapse on themselves because they don't have a progressive rate like my old coils...yet another reason I'm going back to the 5305s+helper bags :(

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon that is such an insanely great job!
doesn't even look like the bump stop bracket was ever there to begin with
mine still has the protrusions up the frame
I started with a cutoff wheel to try and get it off but it took so damn long!!

thanks man, that was the goal. To make it look like nothing was ever there and to not remove any material off the actual frame. It took a while but was completely worth it. I had to remove all the rear suspension, exhaust and gas tank to be able to get to everthing with the sawzall, cut off wheel, flap disk, soft strip and DA. Then I blocked everything with 80 grit and she was good to go after a good rub down with scotch brite.

I should have got a picture of all the tools and everything removed. It's funny to me to stop in the middle of a project and see what all tools I have laying out to do something that seems so simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts