Free Travel Modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coopiesb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after my 3/5 i was sitting on the bumpstops cut mine about 3/4 the way down and alignment and rides better than stock with drop shocks have ground force going to get bell tech street pros....... cant wait to see it bagged max!!

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm planning on doing this but keep putting it off. i' ve been worrying about hitting the gas tank when i do the driver side, was u able to use sawzall on that side or how did u go about it?

OP
OP
M

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
No it wouldn't have been easier, I used a wheel to grind down the top of the weld to tear the bracket off. The weld on the frame is extensive and protrudes a solid 1/2" up the frame making it easier to sawzall then snap the bracket off after grinding. I see this as the most efficient means of doing the modification.

beegarage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey max.. can you put up some pics.. or link me to them.. of your helper bag setup..? also.. is there anywhere that you have you exact/full/current suspension setup listed..? i wanna cop your style..

OP
OP
M

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
3/4 ton (purple) torsion keys
belltech 2508 spindles
bilstein f4-be5-6500-h0 front shocks / f4-be5-6501-h0 rear shocks
belltech 23305 5" coil springs
coil isolators removed
airlift 60769 helper bags with 0 psi
jeep wrangler jk rear sway bar links
trimmed front jounce stops

I'm in the process of installing 7" coils but need to figure out my rear shock situation so I ordered a few different applications at work to test next week. I'd like to drop the front 1/2" so the truck tucks tire and sits at 29" at all four corners.

89 chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you do the free travel mod with the rear springs still in?

OP
OP
M

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
No, you'll have to pull the springs but the suspension needs to be at full droop. Be careful cutting the driver's side next to the gas tank.