Found Solution for iPhone/iPad Video Issues - Good Solution to watch Movies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craftyorganic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've posted here before to share my first solution. However, this is an update because I've finally found a solution that works great, has minimal cables.

I found an HDMI to Composite Converter on Amazon and it works!!! This is an option that will work with current iPhones which have a Lightning connection. First, get an Apple lightning to HDMI Adapter ($43), an HDMI to HDMI Cable ($7), and an HDMI to Composite Converter ($34) The composite Converter doesn’t need to be plugged into any power source. Plug the Lightning to HDMI Adapter into your phone, attach the HDMI to HDMI Cable, then attach the HDMI to Composite Converter. Plug the Converter into the composite (red, white, yellow) connection on your vehicle. This route will cost you around $85 but it works great with current iPads and iPhones that have the lighting connection vs the old 30-pin connection.

I posted about it in detail on my blog if you're interested. I hope this helps save someone time and frustration!

http://www.craftyorganic.com/category/reviews/2015-gmc-chevrolet-iphone-cant-watch-videos-solution/

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've posted here before to share my first solution. However, this is an update because I've finally found a solution that works great, has minimal cables.

I found an HDMI to Composite Converter on Amazon and it works!!! This is an option that will work with current iPhones which have a Lightning connection. First, get an Apple lightning to HDMI Adapter ($43), an HDMI to HDMI Cable ($7), and an HDMI to Composite Converter ($34) The composite Converter doesn’t need to be plugged into any power source. Plug the Lightning to HDMI Adapter into your phone, attach the HDMI to HDMI Cable, then attach the HDMI to Composite Converter. Plug the Converter into the composite (red, white, yellow) connection on your vehicle. This route will cost you around $85 but it works great with current iPads and iPhones that have the lighting connection vs the old 30-pin connection.

I posted about it in detail on my blog if you're interested. I hope this helps save someone time and frustration!

http://www.craftyorganic.com/category/reviews/2015-gmc-chevrolet-iphone-cant-watch-videos-solution/

Yep, that's the same solution I came up with in December after I purchased my Yukon. Here's the link. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/65-phone-mirroring-to-dash-and-rear-screens.63504/page-8

OP
OP
C

craftyorganic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well looks like I'm late but so glad there is a solution. I had a hard time figuring it all out. :)

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried. Set up like this, but I wanted something more permanent so installed an Apple TV and use AirPlay to mirror my iPhone to the screens in the truck.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Nice (basically) free solution.

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. I tried to go with the apple to converter to composite but can't get anything onto the screen....what am I missing? Do I need to change a setting on the phone or something?

OP
OP
C

craftyorganic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird. I tried to go with the apple to converter to composite but can't get anything onto the screen....what am I missing? Do I need to change a setting on the phone or something?

Hi! You want to make sure you change your input to AUX. If it’s all set up correctly and not working in your Yukon try to plug the cable into a TV with a composite connection and see if it works. If it doesn’t work with the TV the cable is probably defective. If it does work with the TV and not your Yukon and you’ve tried working with all the settings you might take it to the dealership and have them troubleshoot.

I actually had a bad composite connection in my 2015 Yukon. The only way I could get the adapter to work was to wiggle the pins around and stick a pen between two of the pins to hold them in place. I took it to the dealership when I had my service done and they replaced it under warranty. I didn’t think that was a common thing so I didn’t post anything about it here but it could be a problem on more Yukons than might I guess??

My guess is that if you play with the settings a little you'll get it to work. The comments section of my blog has some things I've helped people trouble shoot: http://www.craftyorganic.com/2015-gmc-chevrolet-iphone-cant-watch-videos-solution/#comments

If you can't find the answer there email me at [email protected] and I'll try and help you more directly. :) The cable works great in my Yukon.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi! You want to make sure you change your input to AUX. If it’s all set up correctly and not working in your Yukon try to plug the cable into a TV with a composite connection and see if it works. If it doesn’t work with the TV the cable is probably defective. If it does work with the TV and not your Yukon and you’ve tried working with all the settings you might take it to the dealership and have them troubleshoot.

I actually had a bad composite connection in my 2015 Yukon. The only way I could get the adapter to work was to wiggle the pins around and stick a pen between two of the pins to hold them in place. I took it to the dealership when I had my service done and they replaced it under warranty. I didn’t think that was a common thing so I didn’t post anything about it here but it could be a problem on more Yukons than might I guess??

My guess is that if you play with the settings a little you'll get it to work. The comments section of my blog has some things I've helped people trouble shoot: http://www.craftyorganic.com/2015-gmc-chevrolet-iphone-cant-watch-videos-solution/#comments

If you can't find the answer there email me at [email protected] and I'll try and help you more directly. :) The cable works great in my Yukon.

Got it. Ok.

Is there any HDMI to USB converter so I could plug a roku or Amazon stick into the USB port?

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Amazon Fire stick, the Roku, the Chromecast need wifi also to run. Even the Apple TV needs it to use all the apps on it. If you're an apple users you can do peer to peer AirPlay to mirror your iPhone no extra wifi needed. If you're an android user I would look into the Microsoft mirror cast. Again no wifi needed to mirror your device.