Floppy gear selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My column shifter for the trans broke. It used to be spring loaded and you would have to pull towards you to shift up or down. Now it just flops around. :( Anybody ever have or fix this issue on these NNBS? :(

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the shifter link came loose on transmission or by steering column? check under the truck first. Assuming you not able to put in gear?

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe the shifter link came loose on transmission or by steering column? check under the truck first. Assuming you not able to put in gear?

I can shift it fine it's the spring loaded action that's missing when you go to pull the lever towards you out of the cog to shift the gears.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sub'd for when a fix is discovered. I'm only about 90k miles behind ya on this one so I'm sure it'll happen to me at some point too......

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I can shift it fine it's the spring loaded action that's missing when you go to pull the lever towards you out of the cog to shift the gears.
Verify for me: Can you shift it? Or does it cycle through the digits on the dash without shifting?

Little outside of what I'm familiar with here, but at least on the NBS hoes, there's an indent wheel internal to the transmission that handles the engagement feel of the shifter. Not sure if the 6 speeds are the same or not

What happens if you disconnect the shift cable from the trans entirely and manually actuate the linkage? Make sure your ebrake is on and vehicle secured when you do this

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say take the plastics off around the steering column and start investigating looking for loose parts

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify for me: Can you shift it? Or does it cycle through the digits on the dash without shifting?

Little outside of what I'm familiar with here, but at least on the NBS hoes, there's an indent wheel internal to the transmission that handles the engagement feel of the shifter. Not sure if the 6 speeds are the same or not

What happens if you disconnect the shift cable from the trans entirely and manually actuate the linkage? Make sure your ebrake is on and vehicle secured when you do this
From what I gather, it still shifts through the gears but doesn't have the resistance to it when you go to put it in a different gear like it should so it just flops around as you shift it from Park to Drive or Reverse or where ever you're putting it. That's what I take from it, at least.

....and this is a 4 speed truck being an 07.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts