Feedback | Doing business with Blackbear performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

68lemans462

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those considering a Blackbear tune, I thought I would provide my experience in dealing with this company.

First and foremost, this company WILL NOT TAKE OR RETURN YOUR PHONE CALLS, nor will they provide much/any detail about what they actually do. I left 3 voicemails asking for a call back and NONE WERE EVER RETURNED! Hey Blackbear - why take messages or even have a phone number if you have no plans to take or return calls? Blackbear's excuse for not taking my call is that they have no cell service at their location... :rolleyes: Please, get a goddamn phone and attempt to be a legit business. :rolleyes: I find this to be particularly disturbing and atrocious from a customer service perspective. Instead of spending 5 minutes on the phone, you as a customer will be involved in a series of back/forth email conversations which contain limited information and seem hurried. If Blackbear wants to turn their customers away, this is a fantastic way to do it. The funny thing about it is that they seem to boast about their customer service. :rolleyes:

I went with the cable tune. This is a waste of $ in my opinion for a stock truck, although I can see value in a modified vehicle. I feel that I would have had the exact same tune if I had gone with the "traditional" and it would have been cheaper. No information about the data collected in the scan tune was provided to me, even after I asked. I had read that some problems with the vehicle can be identified during the cable tune and was curious about the findings...

As to the tune itself, it did wake the truck up a little bit but I'm still unsure if this is worth it. I asked Blackbear what they actually did with the tune (what was modified) and they said "a bunch of stuff" in the hurried email I received... Aside from shift points, I couldnt tell ya what they did, they leave these details a mystery to their customers. If you want to know what they are actually doing to the truck/tune, GOOD LUCK you wont find out.

All in all, I'd look hard at their competitors if I could do this over again. - I wish I would have. Customer service is important to me and THANK GOD I didnt have a problem. If I would have I would have been out to sea without a paddle. I'll be spreading the word about this as much as I can, I really wish I would have read feedback like this prior to plopping down several $100 dollars.

I'll say that all-in-all the tune was worth it, but I like to speak with folks that do things like this to my vehicles. I have worked with a very well known quadrajet builder in the past, Cliff Ruggles (http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/). Despite the fact that he has almost a year wait for his carb tuning/rebuilds and an extreme workload, he always takes the time to TALK with his customers, understand their needs, and deliver what is being asked for. I have sent him TONS of business over the years as a result. I'd have a hard time giving the same recommendation to blackbear.

Last edited:

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mad bro?

Just out of curiosity (i'm not starting anything, I believe that you had a bad experience with an otherwise well rated company), can you post up the emails?
I emailed about a tune I think lst thursday or friday and haven't heard back (it IS the holidays). I had started a thread a while back and had the intentions to compare BB and Charlie Wheatley but then I developed some engine issues and everything got pushed back until recently when I pulled the trigger on my LQ9. Just wanna see the emails to satisfy my own curiosity, not to bash or trash or take sides.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the in person tune. Everything went smoothly, Justin explained what certain things do and asked if I wanted those things adjusted. Drove around for a solid hour while he monitored and tweaked the tune here an there and overall I am a happy customer.

I actually never had any contact with blackbear until Day of tune, as my wife got it for my birthday. So If she was able to contact them and get information, I don't see why you had a problem.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a shit ton of folks with BB tunes that are really happy, Ive read very few bad things on here, SilveradoSierra, Performance Trucks, etc etc... I tend to dwell on the bad for a bit (character flaw I know), but I spend ALOT on my trucks the same way I do my wife and kids, so I research ALOT before making any purchase. Since BB has such a high fan base, Im super curious to hear about this. NOT because I have ANY bad thoughts about them, simply because CUSTOMER SERVICE is more important to me than anything exept for quality of the actual product.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, there are two sides to every coin. We don't like to put out information on customer orders, however, since you have put your issue out in the open, we will present our responses.

Looks like BBP went above and beyond the average customer, for you, Dan.

Our first contact with Dan in September was as follows. Note that BBP was out of the office with an auto reply message during the 9/22 - 9/24 dates.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Daniel,

We receive over a 100 emails a day and try to answer them as quickly as possible. The longest span between our emails looks to be a day and a half. If we were to have phone calls with every one of our thousands of customers, it would be impossible to get any tunes completed.

You are more than welcome to go with one of our competitors. I would encourage you though to read the numerous reviews we have on the forums from our satisfied customers.

Thanks,
Jarrad

===================

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Daniel wrote:
OK.. I'm VERY wary of your slow response and poor customer service at this time. I'll give this some more thought, and I will also LOOK HARD at your competitors who actually take phone calls and respond within minutes, not days. Thanks.

===================

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Daniel,

You do not need to run 91 octane. Your vehicle is fine running 87 octane. If you would like to go with the Scan Cable tune, we currently have two in stock. We get them shipped out within 1 business day once we receive the deposit (assuming we have them in stock at the time).

We are always here to trouble shoot if issues arise. We also provide instructions on how to complete the Scan Cable process. Less than 1% of our scan cable customers run into issues while doing the data log.

Thanks,
Jarrad

===================

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Daniel wrote:
Also, if I run into problems should I expect a several day delay in response? I do have some concerns on the customer service side of things. A phone call takes 5 minutes. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typo's...

===================

On Sep 26, 2014, at 11:20 AM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

We are a very small company with only two full time employees. We have a busy in-person and mail order tune schedule so it is difficult to make outgoing calls. We can get to questions much quicker via email. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions that you have.

Thanks,
Jarrad

===================

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Daniel wrote:
Id like to talk to you if I can. I can be reached at

Thanks

Dan haggar

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typo's...

===================

On Sep 24, 2014, at 4:43 PM, Black Bear Performance <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting us about a tune. We have three tune options for you, our Traditional tune, our Scan Cable tune and the AutoCal. Pricing is as follows:

Traditional Tune - Complete an order form with pertinent details and we ship out a computer to you. You will need to find someone with a Tech II or similar to perform the crank relearn (~$50-100)
Tune service: $240
PCM core charge: $100

Scan Cable Tune - With the security deposit, we send out a data logger, to be used with a Windows based Laptop to collect data. Then, using that data and an order form that you complete, we complete and ship the computer out to you to be installed. You can perform the crank relearn with the scan cable.
Tune service: $330
PCM core charge: $100
Scan cable security deposit: $250

AutoCal - All tuning is completed by email with this option. The AutoCal is used to collect data from the truck, much like the scan cable tune, without needing a laptop, and all tuning is completed based on that data. The end result is emailed to you to be installed using the OBD2 port under the dash. Details and ordering can be found at http://www.blackbearperformance.com/autocal.asp
Hardware and Tune: $599

We strive to unlock every bit of available power from your engine. This typically results in a 35hp+ and 1-3mpg improvement along with improved shift patterns and throttle response, all depending on fuel quality, octane and vehicle condition prior to the tune.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions that you may have.

Jarrad
BlackBearPerformance.com
Like us on Facebook!

===================

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Daniel
Black Bear Performance Contact Form Submission
----------------------------------------------
SUBMITTED: 9/22/2014 11:34:03 PM
PREFERRED CONTACT: email

VEHICLE: '06 1500HD with 6.0/4l80E/4.10
MODIFICATIONS: Stock with 66k miles, 265/75/60 tires

QUESTION/COMMENT:
I'm wondering if MPG can actually be improved with your tune. I'm ONLY interested in improving MPG on the highway and around town, thus I'm looking for an "economy" tune. I know that "it depends" but do you guys consistently see MPG gains on 6.0's? What have you seen in the past? Do you have customers who have requested an economy tune and not had good results? I've read great things about you guys, and am considering a tune if it'll buy me some MPG (even it is only 1-2MPG)... Please let me know what results can be EXPECTED. THanks.... -Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645