5.3 Performance Upgrades ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this... I didn't find it in my brief search, maybe overlooked it...
Whatever the case, I was curious to know the upgrades you all like or feel are worth it (2009 5.3 LTZ 4WD).
I'm trying to do this without breaking the bank, which I know is almost impossible, but still...
So mine has about 200k on it, so I don't want to get crazy much more than bolt on/easy adds until its time to go on with a rebuild.
Like anyone else, I am looking to get all I can out of it and still keep it reliable. It's not a daily driver, just a back up driver , but when I need it I need it. If you have links, those are apreciated as well!
Thanks in advance.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a few recent threads on this same question I've seen.

What's your budget? That would be the most important question.

Secondly, can you do the work of a cam swap, etc?

Third point: you will need a tune for most cam swaps.

Unless your budget is like $5k-$7k for a supercharger or turbo setup. Cam swap is probably around $1,500 (?) if you do the work yourself by the time you buy the cam, lifters, seals, fluids, and tune.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
VanillaGoorilla

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a few recent threads on this same question I've seen.

What's your budget? That would be the most important question.

Secondly, can you do the work of a cam swap, etc?

Third point: you will need a tune for most cam swaps.

Unless your budget is like $5k-$7k for a supercharger or turbo setup. Cam swap is probably around $1,500 (?) if you do the work yourself by the time you buy the cam, lifters, seals, fluids, and tune.

I hope this helps.
I don't want to rack the engine itself open until i have to, that's why I'm looking more at the bolt/chip type on stuff at the moment. Instead of a real tune and cam scenario.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Canned tune / plug-in air freshener tunes do adjust shift patterns, but they don't make changes to the other transmission segments to address the extra performance released.
Also, it's not like going to Five Guys. Prewritten canned tunes may not come in the flavor or proportion of seasonings you prefer.
Black Bear Performance
There are other reputable tuners, but the point is, get your vehicle tuned as you'd like it for how you want to be able to drive it.

PCM Performance tuned my Z71. My Tow / Haul mode is now programmed to behave more like Performance mode, 'cause that's how I like it.
I've a spare PCM with a medium Tow / Haul shift schedule for 'Normal' Mode, and an even Towier / Haulier Tow / Haul mode, just in case.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I'm sorry if there is already a thread on this... I didn't find it in my brief search, maybe overlooked it...
Whatever the case, I was curious to know the upgrades you all like or feel are worth it (2009 5.3 LTZ 4WD).
I'm trying to do this without breaking the bank, which I know is almost impossible, but still...
So mine has about 200k on it, so I don't want to get crazy much more than bolt on/easy adds until its time to go on with a rebuild.
Like anyone else, I am looking to get all I can out of it and still keep it reliable. It's not a daily driver, just a back up driver , but when I need it I need it. If you have links, those are apreciated as well!
Thanks in advance.
A good air intake some Longtubes
(speed engineering) and a tune would be night and day. You could backyard port your throttle body and get minor gains for free
Delete the cats or add exhaust of your choice and style
4.10 gears
And a good custom tune
It would be night and day that’s what I have done to mine pretty much minus the gears I have 3.73s in mine but want 4.56s in the future whenever I rebuild the rearend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660