Feedback | Doing business with Blackbear performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh so you were actually able to talk to him? This sounds refreshing.

Emailed him back and forth when I was going to do the Dyno comparison, he gave me his cell. Him and BB where both on board, I dropped the ball and went with a new engine, had nothing to do with either tuner.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After initial email conversations (above) in September regarding a 2006 1500HD, we received a scan cable security deposit out of the blue on December 15th @ 8:30am with an immediate request for a phone call.

==========

Despite having been on a flight to Memphis at the time and unable to contact via any other method we replied back at 10:30am asking what we can help you with. We notified that the scan cables were presently out of stock, which would have been previously disclosed had you contacted us prior to submitting the deposit.

==========

At 11:30am, Dan emailed back with a question as to whether the scan cable would be necessary or not and how long the process would take and asked for a phone call.

==========

Immediately upon arriving at their hotel in Memphis (4:15pm pacific) for a tuning trip, we responded with:

The Scan cable tune first depends on how long it takes us to get back a cable. You are currently 3rd on the wait list for one. It could take a week or two to have one available. Then it depends on how it takes for you to do the data logging. Once we receive and review the file, the tuner will send out a link for payment. Once we receive the payment, it typically takes 1-2 business days to complete and ship out the tune. We provide instructions on how to complete the data logging and are here to trouble shoot should any issues occur.

If this sounds like it will take too long, we can refund the deposit and send you out a link to the Traditional tune. All that is involved with the Traditional tune is filling out a tune order form and we can take care of the rest.

==========

Four hours later (8:20pm pacific) Dan replied back with:

My truck is a 2006 GMC Yukon 4x4 with 5.3/4l60e and 4.11 gears. I live at altitude in Denver, 5280 feet. The truck is completely stock except for a magnaflow muffler.

I've read your FAQ but have a few additional questions:
Is the scan tune worth the wait, even if my truck is basically bone stock?

Options for octane at this altitude are 85/87/91. Will I need to run 87 or better gas after the tune, or will 91 be required?

If I go with a traditional tune, how long will it take to get the programmed computer?

Will the truck run without a crank rescan?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to having this truck run more efficiently.

Dan

===========

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

The following evening while again in mid-flight home from that tuning trip, we replied with the following. I proposed an option that has not ever been an option for anybody else, but wanted to help Dan out by having Julie's husband collect the data for him so as to avoid any wait time:

Hi Dan,

It most definitely *can* be worth it. If your are near highlands ranch, I might have another option for you though to avoid the wait. I will need to check on that though, as I don't want to commit the individual there to anything they may not be comfortable with.

You will need to run 87 octane even without a tune. 85 octane is a scam that needs to be stopped. It was very applicable when ignition timing was fixed to vacuum as it was with carburated engines, however present day engine management systems take altitude into account automatically by increasing timing accordingly. There is a very high likelihood that your engine is pinging on 85 octane now (if you are using it) even if you do not hear it.

The traditional tune will likely be able to be shipped out by Thursday or Friday of this week (depending on inventory). We would normally be able to ship tomorrow or Thursday, but much of tomorrow is earmarked for making our annual toys for tots purchase and delivery so that we make this years cut off.

The crank relearn will not impact the ability of the engine to be run at all. It will just impact the ability of the PCM to detect misfires, if it is even needed at all.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Justin (from 35,000')

===========

12/17/14 @ 7am pacific, Dan replied with

Justin,
Thanks for the response.... I am near highlands ranch. Tell me more about this idea! What can be done here?

Regards,

-Dan

===========

The following morning we submitted his information and contacted Julie about setting something up. Again, this is not an option that has ever been presented to anybody else.

They would be able to meet up with you and collect the data needed. Would just involve driving with them for 15-20 minutes of varied throttle. They will then send the file in to us to be used for the scan cable tune.

This process would be just to avoid the wait and shipping time of the scan cable (as well as the security deposit). I will have Julie email you to set something up.

Justin

===========

Shortly after (12/18/14 @ 11:30 mountain) Julie responded to Dan directly with:

Hi Daniel,

Justin gave me your email and asked me to email you regarding your interest in getting a tune via our AutoCal.

I live in the Highlands Ranch area (you fairly close to there?) and can set up a time to meet either Sunday afternoon or Monday mid-morning.

If you can email me back to let me know which day and time works better for you, I can nail down a time and a meeting spot.

=========

Dan replied back at 11:57 mountain with:

Julie,
I can meet you on Sunday afternoon or Monday mid-morning. I wont be working next week. I'll be coming from downtown and can pretty much meet anywhere you would like.

I have one question... If we get the data logged and sent back for the new PCM to be programmed, will I need to come back to you for the crankshaft rescan? From what I understand, if I had the scan cable in hand I could do this myself. Please advise and let me know where/when you want to meet.

Thanks

-Dan

=========

Justin replied directly two minutes later with:

Hi Dan,

I can answer that question for you. If Julie can read your current OEM tune as part of the logging process, we'll be able to program the factory crank and security data onto the computer we send out and no crank relearn would be needed.

Justin

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

=========

12/22/14 @ 7am pacific

Justin,
I'm going to meet with Julie's husband this morning at 10am to get the data logged. I'm guessing we will get all the info from the truck that you will need at this time. In addition to this, what other info do you need? One thing I can think of is that the truck has 265/70/17 tires/wheels. Please adjust the speedo accordingly.

Please advise of any additional information you need. Also, please let me know how much additional $ you will need. I will get you paid ASAP to expedite this. When do you think you will ship this out?

One additional question: What type of PCM will work in my '06 Yukon? Is there a year/date range? I was thinking about perhaps going to the junkyard to find a core so I can keep my original PCM.

THANKS and Merry X-mas!

-Dan

==========

12/22/14 @ 2pm pacific

Hi Dan,

Thank you, I have the files from Rob now. Data looks great. Please see this link here for the balance ($330 tune service, $100 PCM deposit, $258 to be applied from the scan cable security deposit): http://www.blackbearperformance.com/purchase.asp?t=i6!d50&x=102&q=00&rp=0

We should be able to get the tune shipped out by tomorrow if ordered today.

Thank you
Justin

==========

12/22/14 @ 3:53pm pacific

Just filled out the tune form and you have been paid. Did you notice anything of interest while reviewing the data? Aside from shift points, what else are you going to change with this? Just curious.

Thanks I look forward to getting this.

-Dan

==========

At this point, all email focus was slowed to complete as many tune orders as possible before shutting down for Christmas. Dec 26 - Jan 1 was spent out of the office with family in an area without any cell service (Big Bear Lake, CA). Out of office replies were sent out stating that we would be closed.

==========

12/23/14 @ 9:57am pacific from Dan (previous email still unread as per the focus on completing tunes)

I see that the package shipped today. Thank you. Can you please let me know what you changed aside from the shift points? Did you find anything out of the ordinary when reviewing the scan data? Looking forward to getting this. Thanks.

==========

12/27/14 @ 9:04am pacific (both previous emails still unread due Christmas)

Justin,
Can you please give me a call? I've called you and left a voicemail, as well as sending 2 emails with no response. I have a couple questions about the tune that are still unanswered. Hope you had a great x-mas...

Thanks,

-Dan

==========

12/30/14 @ 12:46pm pacific

Hello Dan,

We are currently out of the office but as far as your questions, your data log looked great and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Within the tune, Justin adjusted the shift points as well as making changes to 40-50 tables and parameters to unleash the most performance we can out of your vehicle.

We hope that you had a wonderful Christmas as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
Jarrad

=========

12/30/14 @ 1:42pm pacific

I do have some additional questions. As I mentioned, I'd prefer to talk on the phone.

-Dan

=========

12/30/14 @ 2:44pm pacific

Hi Dan,

Please send us your questions by email and we would be more than happy to answer them. A phone call will not be possible for a multitude of reasons, one being that it takes a 10 minute drive from our present location to even get spotty phone reception. We are not in the office and will not be for a while. When back in the office, we do not have the manpower to discuss questions on the phone, as is noted by the lack of a phone number listed on our website. We would like to be able to rectify that, but at the moment it is not possible. Any phone support in the future will be remanded to non-technical questions as well, as only I can answer technical questions and a large portion of my day is spent actually tuning.

Thank you for your understanding and have a Happy New Year.

Justin

=========

12/30/14 @ 3:56pm pacific

Here are my questions:

1. I have noticed at speeds between 65-75mph if I put the pedal to the floor the truck downshifts to 3rd, but not 2nd gear. Why is this? The truck shifts from 2-3 at 77MPH at WOT. The downshift to 3rd at these speeds is not desirable. Is it possible to get the truck to downshift to 2nd at speeds 60-70?

2. Where do I send the core back to?

3. Can I get a somewhat detailed description of what was done with this tune? I have no idea what was done and I'd like to know.

-Dan

=========

And our last contact with Dan occurred at 12/30/14 @ 6:03pm

Hello Dan,

1. The factory tune shifts down to 2nd at 60.0 and below mph. The modified tune shifts down to second at up to 65 mph putting you at 2nd at 5000 rpm. That can be set to be higher but you will be spending most of your time shifting. We find that at 5000 RPM, that is the highest that it should be set to downshift to 2nd. We'll be happy to increase it further for you, but the results may not be as expected.

2. I have attached our mail-in form to ship your PCM back to us. Please include with your shipment.

3. Your tune order form listed the following requests, which were taken into account in building the tune:

VIN: 1GKEK13Z06J120582
Gear: 4.11
Tire: 265/70r17
Fuel: mid grade or premium - Tune was set for 89-91 octane for optimal results. May ping on lower octane
Shift Pressure: Standard - Slightly firmer at light to mid-throttle, moderately firmer at heavy throttle
Tow/haul Sport mode: No
Transmission Torque management: Unsure - In conjunction with the Standard shift pressure, shift TM is reduced by 75%. This impacts shift feel only.

Beyond that, we cannot provide specific details into the tune itself as there are literally tens of thousands of data points that are adjusted across the 121 tables/parameters that were adjusted in your tune.

Jarrad

========================

As you can see, the timing of this whole affair put additional stress on the situation and we went above and beyond to ensure that his tune was completed as quickly as possible and responses were sent at all hours from the office, mid-flight and even while on vacation to ensure that he was tended to.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Looks like everything (minus phone calls) was answered within 24 hours. Id say that's acceptable.

OP
OP

68lemans462

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The email string above is not the vehicle I'm speaking of, I'd recommend removing this post it is misleading. I dont have a 2006 1500HD, the tune I speak of was on my YUKON... One observation regarding the above email string: I find it funny that responding to an email is "above and beyond customer service", however..

Here's one of the the ACTUAL email responses I received from Justin that I found particularly interesting:

Please send us your questions by email and we would be more than happy to answer them. A phone call will not be possible for a multitude of reasons, one being that it takes a 10 minute drive from our present location to even get spotty phone reception. We are not in the office and will not be for a while. When back in the office, we do not have the manpower to discuss questions on the phone, as is noted by the lack of a phone number listed on our website. We would like to be able to rectify that, but at the moment it is not possible. Any phone support in the future will be remanded to non-technical questions as well, as only I can answer technical questions and a large portion of my day is spent actually tuning.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The email string above is not the vehicle I'm speaking of, I'd recommend removing this post it is misleading. I dont have a 2006 1500HD, the tune I speak of was on my YUKON... One observation regarding the above email string: I find it funny that responding to an email is "above and beyond customer service", however..

Here's one of the the ACTUAL email responses I received from Justin that I found particularly interesting:

Correct, you emailed referencing one vehicle, but wound up tuning another. I do have the above response in the thread- Justin was on a family vacation and without cell reception.

It is situations such as this, that BBP prefers to do everything via email. Everything gets documented, and can be referenced upon. Phone calls can not provide screen shots of what the customer is seeing or experiencing.

BBP does offer a remote PC service for customers experiencing issues with using their AutoCals/scan cables.

I am not interested in an argument, the details provided here are just to counter your factually inaccurate negative review. You were encouraged to go elsewhere in September (as noted in the emails) if you were unhappy with BBPs emails responses and you chose not to.

BBP does not have a phone number listed on the website at this time and does not have a phone hooked up to even accept calls at the office.

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Sounds like this is solely an issue with his perception of customer service, as hes said multiple times hes pleased with the tune. 24 Hours per email response should be fine for 99% of the people out there, but I do agree that sometimes its nice to speak to someone over the phone, as some people cant explain a question thru writing. The whole thread seems like a non-issue. He still got a product hes happy with.

OP
OP

68lemans462

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure you have all heard the old adage that the customer is always right... Guess it isnt the case here. Oh well, if you are OK doing business over email then go for it.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of This post does not reflect upon black bear or the OP in this thread.
This is a observation from someone who has been playing with fast toys for a very very long time and has seen both sides of the fence.

No, absolutely hell no,the customer is not always right! Sometimes the customer need his or her ass kicked for being a dumbass.

I am not saying this directly to you, but in general to all customers who think they are right when in fact are so far from it its ridiculous.

Your complaint is noted and logged. Either work with them in their (its a business not a friendship) schedule to resolve what ever issues you have or move on.
The automotive performance industry (small business, not edelbrock, Holley or similar) is dog eat dog. most of the best wont give you a second chance. They will do what you paid them for, try to accommodate the customer with answers and possibly a fix to what may or may not be wrong then move on to the other 5 thousand ppl waiting patiently for their turn.

Some of these other tuners listed in this thread have been known to lock ecu's then go for multi year vacation and or loose their PC's and all tune files.
Try getting your tune fixed on a locked ecu from another tuner..

Now on to BBP, myself and many others i know personally have used them in the past and some continue to do so. None have ever had a problem with incorrect tuning and or customer service, hell i have not read or heard about one blown up engine or trans due to their tunes.
But damn sure have heard many from other tuners both listed and not listed in this thread.

They are not there to spend a week txt'ing, calling or emailing you specifically, they have a business to run.
You want to ask a million questions. Do a in person tune and justin will bend over backwards to answer, NOT teach you what you want to know.
I know this because i was once "that" guy. Who asked a million questions during my in person tune.

Last edited:

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The customer is always right to a point. If you were not ok with doing business over email why did you? Are you upset with their product, service, or that they will not call you but instead answer your questions via email?

OP
OP

68lemans462

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The customer is always right to a point. If you were not ok with doing business over email why did you? Are you upset with their product, service, or that they will not call you but instead answer your questions via email?

I didnt know they only do business over email until AFTER I PAID.... Hence the reason for this post. Perhaps this will help other folks who appreciate good customer service and a company that returns voicemail from their customers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24