Yukon Denali 2021 Haunted Nightmare - Request advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice on my Yukon Denali. I took delivery on my new Yukon at the end of Oct 2020 after the dealership roasted the transmission on my 2015 Denali (longer story :) ).

The 2021 was awesome but started doing some very strange things culminating with me having to have it towed back to the dealership on Dec 24 because of a no Key Fob detected problem (towing is a major pain as well with the new electronic transmissions because if you can't turn the car on you can't even put it in neutral so it has to be dolly towed). The dealership had it for about a week over the holidays and determined that there was a manufacturing issue with wiring harness on antenna one (which detects if the fob is inside the car to start). They did some stuff and things and returned the car to me with sincerest apologies.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. Driving home from Breckenridge Colorado on some lonely mountain roads (285 toward Denver if anybody is wondering), the car begins to act "haunted." It starts opening and closing locks by itself. It starts resetting the climate control settings. It's turning the heated seats on and off. Kind of nervous as you can imagine. Within a mile of home, the car flashes a "car will automatically shutdown in one minute" message. It does go away and I pull into the driveway. I am planning to call the dealership the next day but when I go to lock the car from the handle buttons, it doesn't work and again the no key fob error returns. So I had to have the car towed again back on Sunday night at midnight.

The dealership kept it for a few days and has reported that the car had a bad Body Control Module and that they are in the process of replacing.

This leads me to the question at hand. The car has 3400 miles on it. Two tows before it's first oil change. And I am at the point where I don't trust the car. We bought this car for doing Colorado things with little kids (skiing, camping, going for long drives to the middle of nowhere). I am concerned about the reliability but I am not sure what course of action to take. Keep the car with a new BCM. Get rid of the car IF the dealership will work with me. Try customer service with GM directly? Or get rid of the car eat the loss (worst case).

If anybody has an opinion on the approach I would greatly appreciate it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a new model year design, you are the guinea pig so to say, if you really want to keep it maybe try to get a little compensation out of GM for the trouble that could pan out in a variety of ways, extended extra services, oil changes, etc, etc. in the meantime look into your states lemon laws and just keep that in your pocket if it continues to crop up with any other issue's as a fail-safe. good luck!

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electrical gremlins can be problematic and often difficult to chase down. If it were me I would give the new BCM a shot. Hopefully that fixes the problem, but if you continue to have issues it may be time to explore other options.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Thank you for the info so far. I guess what I worry about is getting stranded. This not being able to start the truck and being towed with dolly systems is pretty stressful. A lot of our use is remote camping and it almost leaves a pit in my stomach. I was wondering if anybody had an experience like this on any vehicle where the BCM was replaced and things were great after

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't experienced those issues yet, but I'm also a fellow guinea pig for GMC.... It's really quite amazing how many problems I've observed with my own Yukon, as well as problems from others on just this forum. There are many more issues to discover on the other online forum's. With my truck sitting in service for the 7th time, I would say it's likely not going to improve. Something new to experience every month. Unfortunately, you'll likely need to allow the dealer 4 attempts at fixing a problem before you can pursue the lemon law. Luckily, mine has not left me stranded yet. If it does leave me stranded before I hit the 12k miles/1yr; you can bet I'll be on the lemon law train...

Hrocks

Reaction score
Keep taking it back to the dealer for everything to build a lemon law case. I hate being the GM first model year guinea pig. (Did that with an '07 Escalade and a buddy went through it with the '84 Corvette and another, with an early Fiero.) They ought to discount every redesigned vehicle 25% for having to put up with the ongoing debugging at the consumer's expense. For a $70--$100+ grand sticker depending on brand, you should be able to confidently drive it for many years without any catastrophic (or spooky) failures!

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I thought I would post an update here. The BCM is replaced and the dealership is testing it by driving the snot out of it. I will say the service manager who is really trying to make it right seems only partially confidant. I don't know why but he is very hesitant right now. We will see what the next couple of days holds but maybe just bad luck on one module.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Yours is probably not the first one he's seen with that problem...

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm terribly sorry to hear about these problems and hope it works out with minimal pain. I'm waiting for at least the 2023 model year to see if they become reliable right now my 2012 has been 100% and I can't justify taking a chance on these new vehicles full of tech.

I had a Chevy truck that had some strange problems that were intermittent and spooky like yours. Had it in the shop numerous times changing ECM twice and numerous modules and sensors. They didn't have a clue and when it exhibited some issues that were totally unrelated and I asked them to check the power and ground connections and it was fixed. They didn't tell me what the actual problem was probably didn't want to look silly putting all this GM warranty money into it. With electrical problems it can be anything.

Last edited:

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Mine has been in and out of the dealership multiple times. We are going the lemon law route since GM has had it over 33 days at the dealership. You would think in todays day and age GM could design and test a reliable product before bringing it to market. I guessed wrong. Keep us posted.

fjtSDhi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone