Factory skid plates installed on 2015 Tahoe LT (GM # 23176881)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15TahoeLT

Reaction score
Finally ordered the GM factory skid plate kit. Got it from ThePartsTruck.com for $187. It shipped without the 12x bolts required, but they shipped them to me immediately at no cost.

Skid Plate Kit is GM # 23176881
Extra bolts are GM #1158341 (if you need them).

Very easy install, factory plastic cover comes off with 6x of the same bolts. New kit requires 8x for the front 2 skids and 4x for the transfer case skid plate.

All that is left for me now is to either trim down this awful air deflector or buck up and get the PPV Tahoe unit :)

IMG_4223.jpg IMG_4224.jpg IMG_4225.jpg IMG_4226.jpg IMG_4227.jpg

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally ordered the GM factory skid plate kit. Got it from ThePartsTruck.com for $187. It shipped without the 12x bolts required, but they shipped them to me immediately at no cost.

Skid Plate Kit is GM # 23176881
Extra bolts are GM #1158341 (if you need them).

Very easy install, factory plastic cover comes off with 6x of the same bolts. New kit requires 8x for the front 2 skids and 4x for the transfer case skid plate.

All that is left for me now is to either trim down this awful air deflector or buck up and get the PPV
Looks good. With such low clearance these things need it lol. I had one put in a year ago. Going to trim down my deflector once it warms up here.

OP
OP
15TahoeLT

15TahoeLT

Reaction score
Looks good. With such low clearance these things need it lol. I had one put in a year ago. Going to trim down my deflector once it warms up here.

Thanks, and agreed. I haven’t had any clearance issues after the 2” lift in the front, if anything its just the air deflector catching.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those say anything about how thick that aluminum is? I'm wondering if they seem to be pretty stout or should I be looking for a shop to make some steel one? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't need them for rock crawling, but I'm just wondering if they are worth the money.

Thanks.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion, while I don't specifically remember what the thickness was when I installed mine, I can say that it is extremely stout. It is a quality piece and extremely rigid for what it is. Helps that it installs in two pieces too. Unless you are trying to rock crawl the vehicle, I suspect it is more than sufficient on and off road; well worth the price in my opinion. YMMV

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do those say anything about how thick that aluminum is? I'm wondering if they seem to be pretty stout or should I be looking for a shop to make some steel one? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't need them for rock crawling, but I'm just wondering if they are worth the money.

Thanks.

THey are stout. If you zoom in on the attached picture or the pictures above, you can see they are probably 1/8" thick or so... Enough to take a good blow and keep on going.
File Jan 01, 4 12 50 PM.jpeg

OP
OP
15TahoeLT

15TahoeLT

Reaction score

Thanks.

Yeah as others have said, they are pretty beefy and worth the money for peace of mind. I'm not sure I'd bother spending the money on custom fabricated skid plates. It's cheap enough, easy to install and doesn't require any modifications it just bolts right up.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could someone help me out. So this is a 3 piece set correct? Do these hang any lower? Thinking about putting the these on a lowered 2019 Suburban. Would an aftermarket exhaust be a problem for installation? Appreciate it

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone help me out. So this is a 3 piece set correct? Do these hang any lower? Thinking about putting the these on a lowered 2019 Suburban. Would an aftermarket exhaust be a problem for installation? Appreciate.
There are 3 pieces, not necessarily considered a set, I have them on my 18 Silverado with a 4/6 drop, the drop does not matter, a lift would matter because generally with a lift the front differential is relocated so it would not fit on a lift which is also why most lift kits come with there own version of a skid plate.
and to answer the previous question these are "skid" plates, meaning if you hit something while "moving" they are stout enough and strong enough to work as designed "to skid you across" and not damage or crack the differential case, oil pan, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e