Exhaust tip placement? ...side, down or strait out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to have a new muffler welded on with a resonator delete. Any advantages to the direction I choose to face my exhaust tip?

Strait out the back?
Out the side?
Downward?
Any reasons to choose one over the other?

Should I get an exhaust tip? Does it matter?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As IAM says, it would be mostly for aesthetics.

For me, I preferred the exhaust exiting behind the rear wheel, versus out the back, so that I do not inadvertently bump it (hot) with my leg when loading or unloading from the rear.

Placing the exhaust behind the rear wheel does require periodic cleaning of the exhaust tip from time to time, to remove the dirt that gets kicked on to it from the rear tire.

I would recommend having the exhaust facing downward a bit, so that any condensation collecting within the final tailpipe section, after turning the motor off, does have the opportunity to drip out of the exhaust pipe, versus sitting within the exhaust pipe and starting to rust the pipe.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As IAM says, it would be mostly for aesthetics.

For me, I preferred the exhaust exiting behind the rear wheel, versus out the back, so that I do not inadvertently bump it (hot) with my leg when loading or unloading from the rear.

Placing the exhaust behind the rear wheel does require periodic cleaning of the exhaust tip from time to time, to remove the dirt that gets kicked on to it from the rear tire.

I would recommend having the exhaust facing downward a bit, so that any condensation collecting within the final tailpipe section, after turning the motor off, does have the opportunity to drip out of the exhaust pipe, versus sitting within the exhaust pipe and starting to rust the pipe.

Thank you Joseph! This is exactly why I ask this question, I know it sounds like yet another "hold my hand through every decision I make" thread, but you probably just saved me considerable headache by mentioning the cleaning.
I get ice build-up in my state really bad and didn't even think about how the "behind the wheel" placement could possibly cause me a bad day or miserable winter by having to constantly kick the ice off! Thank you brother, cant believe I didn't think of that.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always glad to help where I can, Jolly.

In my opinion, no question is a silly question, and for those that do think so, oh well. This is why this Forum exists, so that we can share learning experiences, and hopefully prevent unnecessary extra work and frustration for us all.

Yes, it is possible that in your area, in the winter, road spray and ice buildup could potentially encase your exhaust tip, if it was within the spray pattern of the rear tire. Other folks on this Forum who live in similar climates could share their experiences with you in this area.

I keep a spray can of Bug and Tarminator by Stoner, which I periodically spray and wipe on my two exhaust tips, to remove any buildup from the road and my rear tires, and keep them nice and shiny. This stuff also works great on the truck's paint surfaces, when you get road tar and other grease splattered on them from the road.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't have it 90* down, but more of a 45*. Pointing straight down will cause the wave to bounce off the ground and cause it to sound louder especially from inside. If you've ever ran turn-downs on a vehicle you'll know what I mean. Even factory tips, whether behind the wheel or under the bumper, are at an angle and not straight down.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been back and forth with doing split duals straight out the back or siamesed duals just in front of the right rear tire. If I can't come to a decision between those two, I may get a tip with an angled slash cut end and install it at an angle so that the end follows the same slope as the bottom edge of the side of the bumper cover. With them ending flush or nearly flush with the bottom of the bumper cover, no exhaust exits will be seen and it won't be deep under the truck to promote sound reverberation.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have it 90* down, but more of a 45*. Pointing straight down will cause the wave to bounce off the ground and cause it to sound louder especially from inside. If you've ever ran turn-downs on a vehicle you'll know what I mean. Even factory tips, whether behind the wheel or under the bumper, are at an angle and not straight down.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Cool, didnt think about the sound reflection either. I did kinda rule out the strait down tube because it would melt a pot hole in my driveway during winter.

Reaction score
I believe my muffler/resonator/tailpipe is stock, and it almost comes straight out under the bumper. It's slightly angles down and is cut at a 45*d448f8f62b9fd8c51a0ef0293e0c7365.jpg40548f8566291b9379bc4444703a8b91.jpg

BTW, that's not a crack in the side of the bumper cover, just a reflection of the seam in the concrete and curb.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18[/IMG]

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that V8 engine a little more sound is a good thing I think. If I were doing this to our machine I'd look for twin side by side stainless steel tips mostly straight out the rear. Not sure the straight out deal would work without having the cutout on the bumper panel though. Looked for pictures but didn't see anything relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9