Exhaust tip placement? ...side, down or strait out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my muffler/resonator/tailpipe is stock, and it almost comes straight out under the bumper. It's slightly angles down and is cut at a 45*d448f8f62b9fd8c51a0ef0293e0c7365.jpg40548f8566291b9379bc4444703a8b91.jpg

BTW, that's not a crack in the side of the bumper cover, just a reflection of the seam in the concrete and curb.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18[/IMG]

I was behind one today and noticed that. I'd have the pipe up higher and angled more downward so the angle of the slash cut matches the bumper cover. Maybe have no more than about half an inch of reveal.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible that in your area, in the winter, road spray and ice buildup could potentially encase your exhaust tip, if it was within the spray pattern of the rear tire. Other folks on this Forum who live in similar climates could share their experiences with you in this area.

I keep a spray can of Bug and Tarminator by Stoner, which I periodically spray and wipe on my two exhaust tips, to remove any buildup from the road and my rear tires, and keep them nice and shiny. This stuff also works great on the truck's paint surfaces, when you get road tar and other grease splattered on them from the road.

When dealing with Iowa winters, I will say that I have a lot less of an issue with stuff building up on the tailpipe on our Yukons that exit out the rear than I do with my truck which exits out the side behind my tire, even with mudflaps. This includes snow and ice in the winter but also road grime/tar/etc. in the summer.

I was behind one today and noticed that. I'd have the pipe up higher and angled more downward so the angle of the slash cut matches the bumper cover. Maybe have no more than about half an inch of reveal.

@Jolly Roger, Not sure how much off-roading you do but also need to consider how likely you are to have it hang up on something going over rough terrain. I know you mentioned in your thread about the scourge of TPMS systems that your roads get pretty rutted so just wanted to mention that.

Personally, I like the stock look.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my muffler/resonator/tailpipe is stock, and it almost comes straight out under the bumper. It's slightly angles down and is cut at a 45*d448f8f62b9fd8c51a0ef0293e0c7365.jpg40548f8566291b9379bc4444703a8b91.jpg

Stock 6.2 exit.

Here's my stock 5.3 exhaust exit location with factory installed tip:

I was thinking of dual exhaust tips, one behind each tire like Flowmaster kits, but don't want to burn my leg and feet while refueling, almost never shut down while refueling. Something to consider. Always thought dual exits on same side looked nice too if done right. Chris' Pontiac tips look good.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that V8 engine a little more sound is a good thing I think. If I were doing this to our machine I'd look for twin side by side stainless steel tips mostly straight out the rear. Not sure the straight out deal would work without having the cutout on the bumper panel though. Looked for pictures but didn't see anything relevant.

Cadillac Escalade Sport, I think.

Reaction score
Stock 6.2 exit.

Here's my stock 5.3 exhaust exit location with factory installed tip:

I was thinking of dual exhaust tips, one behind each tire like Flowmaster kits, but don't want to burn my leg and feet while refueling, almost never shut down while refueling. Something to consider. Always thought dual exits on same side looked nice too if done right. Chris' Pontiac tips look good.
Why are the 5.3 and 6.2 tailpipe location/angles different? Besides the 6.2 pipe being larger, I would think they would be located the same.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are the 5.3 and 6.2 tailpipe location/angles different? Besides the 6.2 pipe being larger, I would think they would be located the same.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Not sure. The pipe diameters are different as is the configuration. Trailering may also play a role in placement so the fumes don't come back into the cab.

NebraskaJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my 5.3 LTZ after muffler/dual slash tip. I had my exhaust guy line the tip up with the panel edge and I think it looks sweet.

Ax59ydE.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel