Exhaust question for 2500 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes albeit slowly. Like glacier movement slow.

I live outside San Antonio, Texas.

I told him to go get it. lol

I forget where he is in Kansas, but it's at least 11 hours regardless. Thanks for the offer just the same!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that's all of what he still has. Something else to note is that if the exhaust forward of the muffler will support an 8.1, then it's plenty sufficient for even a warmed-over 6.0.
Late to the game here. And it has been a few years, but when my dad was looking to modify the exhaust on his 02 6.0 HD we found that (for the 02 anyway) everything was the same between the 8.1 and 6.0 for the most part. The Y pipe was the same even EXCEPT for it seemed to be chopped 6 to 8 inches from where the flanges would be and smaller 2.25 or 2.5 in pipe ran from the manifolds to the larger pipe of the "y". Im fairly certain they used all the same exhaust to make it cheaper.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Im fairly certain they used all the same exhaust to make it cheaper.

I wouldn't doubt this in the least. Regardless and fortunately, the original Y pipe, cats, etc. are still there. Although it's an 8.1, I'm sure it doesn't breathe as efficiently as the LS platform so maybe it doesn't need as much pipe volume as an 8.1 liter LS would need. I'm sure the engineers decided whatever they went with wasn't a choke. It's a low RPM torque engine, anyway.

He verified this morning that he had a stock replacement muffler and it matched the pics, dimensions and pipe orientations posted in this thread. So, he's off to a good start!

1badjimmy

Reaction score
Although it's an 8.1, I'm sure it doesn't breathe as efficiently as the LS platform so maybe it doesn't need as much pipe volume as an 8.1 liter LS would need.

It kind of is an LS motor. The intake ports are cathedral port. If I’m not mistaken the crank and cam sensor outputs are the same as the LS, 24X and 1X respectively.

Check out Raylar Engineering if he needs day dream material.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kind of is an LS motor. The intake ports are cathedral port. If I’m not mistaken the crank and cam sensor outputs are the same as the LS, 24X and 1X respectively.

Check out Raylar Engineering if he needs day dream material.

That I didn't know. Interesting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9