Exhaust question for 2500 owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy just bought an '02 Avalanche 2500 (8.1). The entire exhaust is missing from the after the cats so I'm trying to help him source the parts to rebuild it. We're looking at aftermarket stock replacement mufflers and tubing, but not sure if they're for the 2500 or if there's any difference between that and the ones for the 1500s. Can anyone help with muffler dimensions, pipe diameters, placement of pipes (close together, spread apart, staggered, etc.)?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I have on my 2004 Silverado 2500LD:

MBRP Exhaust

Thanks. But, I should've been more clear. He's not looking for any performance stuff. Just stock replacement and the aftermarket offerings are cheaper than OEM. We're assuming the 6.0 stuff (layout and pipe diameter) is the same as the 8.1, but trying to find something definitive.

I suggested to just get a muffler or two and a universal pipe kit or two and get to welding...

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can slide under my suburban in a couple days if needed.

Seems like it is 3 1/2" it comes two pipes into the muffler, and two out then a"y" into one for the tailpipe.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can slide under my suburban in a couple days if needed.

Seems like it is 3 1/2" it comes two pipes into the muffler, and two out then a"y" into one for the tailpipe.

Best I can recall, this is the same as most any (or all?) GMT800s. I wonder if it's just standard Escalade/Denali exhaust.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best I can recall, this is the same as most any (or all?) GMT800s. I wonder if it's just standard Escalade/Denali exhaust.
I don't believe so. The configuration is the same but I am pretty sure the size of the pipe is larger on the 8.1. I can also try to confirm that later also.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
easiest way to verify that is compare part numbers of exhaust parts for each engine/chassis configuration on rockauto or even autozone.

Problem with the online parts houses is that they don't list the exhaust parts for the 8.1. Haven't seen any yet, but have looked at a few sites.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easiest way to verify that is compare part numbers of exhaust parts for each engine/chassis configuration on rockauto or even autozone.

RA was the first we checked. Besides a Walker/DynoMax system, all they have is OEM replacement mufflers from AP. They showed dual 3" inlets and a single 3.5" outlet. The "local" parts stores don't document anything for the 8.1.

I think he ordered a muffler that was supposed to be an OEM replacement and it had dual inlets and outlets. He doesn't care so much about the configuration. He just doesn't wanna put a system designed for a 6.0 on his 8.1 if it's not the same. We can't figure out why someone would remove the entire system from after the cats unless they wanted the large size for a performance build. At least they left the cats!

He's in Kansas so I'm helping remotely. He's stays really busy being self-employed, so updates from him are slow.