Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is going to be a very slow build. All the mods I want to do from here on out are expensive. I was going to start with the headers and work my way back on the exhaust system. But I'm looking to buy a house in the fall, so dropping 2K on headers isn't financially wise right now. But it's been almost 3 years since I've owned it and I've decided the single pipe out the back is driving me crazy, so my plan is to get the true duals set up first, have the engine make a little more noise to keep me smiling for awhile.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yeah, this is going to be a very slow build. All the mods I want to do from here on out are expensive. I was going to start with the headers and work my way back on the exhaust system. But I'm looking to buy a house in the fall, so dropping 2K on headers isn't financially wise right now. But it's been almost 3 years since I've owned it and I've decided the single pipe out the back is driving me crazy, so my plan is to get the true duals set up first, have the engine make a little more noise to keep me smiling for awhile.

I would check around some local exhaust shops and see what they would charge to bend some tailpipes up for you.

I had all my exhaust work done at a local place and it was substantially cheaper than buying premade kits and they are custom bent so you can have them change stuff to your liking if you stand there and watch... lol

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.2, so I don't think I'll feel any low torque loss. Plus I'm planning on adding a better cam and converter. If by chance I lose a little torque down low, that's ok with me because it'll mean less neck snapping at red lights, haha
You're in Colorado? And not worried about loosing torque?

Torque is where its at man... Especially with these trucks

Might I Suggest doing some research sir...

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't spend a nickel more than necessary until the day after closing Mike! Keep as much coin in your portfolio as possible until they hand you the keys to your new abode!
You're absolutely right, and thinking about it, a house is more important than any performance or appearance modification. Right now, and it's embarrassing to say, I pay almost $1800 a month for my 880 sq/ft apartment in a complex, and rent 2 small garages there (my Tahoe barely fits inside). One of them I park the second car (we are only allowed to park in 2 spaces in the lot, or we have to park outside the gate and on the street), and the other garage is tools, camping stuff, and misc stuff that I can't fit in the apartment. Thank you for the smack on the back of the head, I really need it sometimes, haha

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right, and thinking about it, a house is more important than any performance or appearance modification. Right now, and it's embarrassing to say, I pay almost $1800 a month for my 880 sq/ft apartment in a complex, and rent 2 small garages there (my Tahoe barely fits inside). One of them I park the second car (we are only allowed to park in 2 spaces in the lot, or we have to park outside the gate and on the street), and the other garage is tools, camping stuff, and misc stuff that I can't fit in the apartment. Thank you for the smack on the back of the head, I really need it sometimes, haha

You're welcome Mike! I've seen lots of times when folks showed up to closing only to leave without their home or with a higher interest rate because they charged up their credit cards or bought a new car between the time they were approved for the loan and the closing.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the house AND space for your vehicles and tools and other gear, without being forced to use the street for daily parking is HUGE, and should be your #1 priority. As Swathdiver says, anything can change, and not usually in your best interests, until the papers are signed, and the keys are in your hand.

Of course, this is easier said than done, when the urge to install the next mod on your truck starts to burn in your brain. This is yet another benefit of belonging to this Forum -> Free and well-intended dope slaps, when appropriate. :893karatesmiley-thu

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get 1 7/8" primaries. That is way too large for an NA engine. You will loose bottom end torque which is not what you want on a big heavy truck.

To get the exhaust you want, you're going to have to have it custom made.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get 1 7/8" primaries. That is way too large for an NA engine. You will loose bottom end torque which is not what you want on a big heavy truck.

To get the exhaust you want, you're going to have to have it custom made.

My plan is forced induction down the road. I plan on buying a house first, then after that, I will work on a Cam and Headers/Exhaust/Converter, maybe a rebuild, then forced induction. I am mostly planning my build at this point, that way I'm only buying expensive parts once ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019