Exhaust manifold tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. My manifold stud broke off in the drivers side closest to the steering wheel, it seems to have started ticking too. It appears to be coming from under though and I don’t feel or hear anything at the broken stud area. I don’t feel the leak there. What y’all think? Where else could it be coming from? Video Here

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first address the broken manifold bolts.

A trick you can use is to tape a shop vac to the exhaust (tape the other side if you have dual exhaust) and set the shop vac up to blow and use it to pressurize the exhaust pipe and then try to listen for a leak or spray soapy water around where you think the leak is. If there is air escaping it will cause bubbles.

With me just being on the internet there is only so much I can speculate without seeing it myself

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hello. My manifold stud broke off in the drivers side closest to the steering wheel, it seems to have started ticking too. It appears to be coming from under though and I don’t feel or hear anything at the broken stud area. I don’t feel the leak there. What y’all think? Where else could it be coming from? Video Here
You have a broken manifold bolt, its ommon issue. They sell a bolt that attaches to the head to Tighten up the manifold back to the head

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a broken manifold bolt, its ommon issue. They sell a bolt that attaches to the head to Tighten up the manifold back to the head

I'd do this and see if the noise goes away. it's a cheap part from Amazon or advanced auto parts has them local usually.

I put one on the back drivers side on mine because I didn't feel like fixing the bolt right now. on my c6 (they snap bolts too) I was changing manifolds, so I did the weld to it and take it out trick. but the truck, until a have good reason, the braces work well for cheap.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe it is broken off inside the head or something.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the manifold are you referring to? I’m not familiar with the part you showed me. Is that the bracket that attaches to the exhaust from the manifold? I’m talking about (this)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec