Every other day something folks! Water pouring out of the HVAC vents over passenger seat driver side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had parked it on a slight incline on my driveway for a few hours during todays rain storm. I got in the car and as I put it in gear I heard the sound of slushing water. When I pulled out to flat ground, water came pouring out of the ceiling vents. Sigh... and Help! What is going on hear?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not expect there to be any condensation from cooling in the ducts for the rear HVAC.

Water between the roof and headliner would be what comes to my mind. Looking at the sunroof and the drains would be my first recommendation to check.

Probably sloshing around until a low spot is found for the water to finally escape.

Ungawa

Reaction score
This my friend is exactly why I did not purchase one with a sun roof. Sooner of later it will have issues. Good luck with it, may be trash obstructing the drains.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not expect there to be any condensation from cooling in the ducts for the rear HVAC.

Water between the roof and headliner would be what comes to my mind. Looking at the sunroof and the drains would be my first recommendation to check.

Probably sloshing around until a low spot is found for the water to finally escape.
This my friend is exactly why I did not purchase one with a sun roof. Sooner of later it will have issues. Good luck with it, may be trash obstructing the drains.
There is the antennae right above the windshield that apparently leaks. When I pressed on it water leaked out the sides of the mount. I was on a slight incline while raining pretty good and likely the sunroof or this antennae leaked and the water then drained towards the back rather than forward to the weep holes which work perfectly fine ( I tested them ). If you are in an incline would there not be weep holes back as well as the ones I can see in the front? In any case, after cleaning the antennae and the metal around it, I applied silicon sealant all around it. I then cleaned the edge of the sunroof and the mating surface, then I applied silicon sealant all the way around. Then I dutifully pulled the fuse for the sunroof. It ain't leaking again!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure there is a drain hole in each corner of the sunroof opening. I could be wrong.

If it were me, I would have wanted to see if the antenna was the problem before disabling and sealing the sunroof. Would be a shame to lose the sunroof if that wasn't the issue...

I love having the sunroof open when weather is nice!

When it it raining or snow/ice is melting, I can actually hear water draining out of my sunroof. Drains seem to work as expected and keeping everything dry so far.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure there is a drain hole in each corner of the sunroof opening. I could be wrong.

If it were me, I would have wanted to see if the antenna was the problem before disabling and sealing the sunroof. Would be a shame to lose the sunroof if that wasn't the issue...

I love having the sunroof open when weather is nice!

When it it raining or snow/ice is melting, I can actually hear water draining out of my sunroof. Drains seem to work as expected and keeping everything dry so far.
I know but the silicon is enough to keep the water out. I can easily remove it if ever I want the sunroof back. I haven't used it once since ownership. The vehicle is a hobby vehicle and for the purpose of getting my Bass Boat to the lake. Just need it to run and pull. The weep holes in the front drain real well. How do you get to the weep holes in the back if ever I want to reach them and remove the sunroof? I wonder if the drains have a spider nest or something else that enter from the outside into them that caused this. I can see where the front once are draining from. Is there a rough location where the back weeps holes drain?

yukon06

Reaction score
Same thing here except it was passenger side middle row roof vent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter