Water in the door? !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afishinado

Reaction score
Other day I had to leave my 12 Tahoe sitting outside during a long rain storm, like 16 hours worth. Anyway, drove it into town and I'm hearing liquid sloshing around.. WTH is that? I look, can't find anything. Then I actually open the right rear door to see if somehow I'm missing something, and it was obvious. Door had to have at least 2 gallons of water in it. Pulled the little plug in the bottom of the door and it ran out. Trying to figure out how it got in, and whether there is something I could (or maybe should) do about it. It lives in the garage, almost never in the rain unless I'm driving it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hows the hard rubber lip on the outside at the bottom of the window? its supposed to keep the majority of water out of the door.

NotBabb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had this happen to both of my back doors before. Neither at the same time and they were both probably a year apart.

The only things I could think of happening are getting something stuck in the rubber seal or if you have in channel window rain guards that kept the window pushed in a little and the window didn't get rolled up all the way.

Neil Layne

Steel Neil
Reaction score
Other day I had to leave my 12 Tahoe sitting outside during a long rain storm, like 16 hours worth. Anyway, drove it into town and I'm hearing liquid sloshing around.. WTH is that? I look, can't find anything. Then I actually open the right rear door to see if somehow I'm missing something, and it was obvious. Door had to have at least 2 gallons of water in it. Pulled the little plug in the bottom of the door and it ran out. Trying to figure out how it got in, and whether there is something I could (or maybe should) do about it. It lives in the garage, almost never in the rain unless I'm driving it.
I have the same issues. Keep us posted if you end up finding a solution.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is to be expected with heavy rainfall.

I've never noticed this 'water retention' on any other vehicle I've owned in the past 28 years but it is bound to happen on our rigs unless you leave the plugs out.

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to ride around shearing swishing water sounds for a while until i did this. It was last year summer but I thought I would share it. m.youtube.com/watch?v=c14kB9UEsdg&t=36s

Matt81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I noticed it by opening the door! I just drained it. I think it’s like one reply stated.. it’s the lip by the bottom of window. I also noticed that I can only operate the window from drivers side door. Water problem damaged switch on my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645