How Much Water Accumulates On the Roof of a Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much water accumulates on the roof of a Yukon XL during a long rain storm?

Short Answer: A freakin' LOT.

Long Answer: Yesterday it rained for the entire day with my Yukon XL remaining outside, something that I do not usually do. With today being over 60 degrees in NH, I decided to put down the windows, open the sun roof, and go for a nice Spring ride. Leaving my driveway, the road heads downhill, with a stop sign at the bottom. When I leave my house, I drive slow and quiet, so that my exhaust system does not bother my neighbors.

As I approached the stop sign, I braked the truck to slow down and come to a stop. Suddenly, a waterfall of water comes pouring down from the open sun roof above, onto my head and down my neck and body, all over my center console, and all over the passenger seat (So good that my wife was not with me!). I was completely soaked from the waist on up.

Lesson Learned: Do NOT open the sun roof after a rain storm, without driving your truck around a bit before doing so. We can add this to our accumulated knowledge base.

It is actually a bit funny now looking back, but I can assure you that it was NOT funny at all, at the time it happened.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, don't mean to laugh, I'd be pissed--at myself. Hopefully you dried it up quick and nothing got ruined.

You are right, Tony. There was nobody to blame, but myself. And, I was pissed, initially.

Fortunately, I always keep a few rags in the truck, and I was able to quickly mop up the water on my seat, the center console, passenger's seat, and wherever else it was. I let myself air-dry, as I drove around with everything open. It was cold as Hell, as the water on my body evaporated, but that was my penance to pay for my stupidity.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife: honey, why are you soaking wet? It quit raining yesterday?
Joseph: ummmmm :rolleyes:

My wife would surely laugh (and she did, when I got home and told her).

She actually had a similar, but more sinister, issue with a Honda Accord that we used to own. Apparently, the drain tubes within sun roof interior assembly were clogged, along with a minor leak on the gasket seal of the sun roof glass itself to the sun roof opening. Our house at the time had an upward sloping driveway, and during successive rain storms, water would collect within the interior assembly of the sun roof.

The interior assembly would fill with water, and then when my wife would go out in the morning to go to work, fully attired in her business suit, when she got to the bottom of the driveway and and turned onto the road and accelerated forward, the accumulated water would come pouring down on her head. Fortunately for me, I was already long gone on my commute to work by then, so I was not there, when she had to go back into the house, fuming, to change her clothes and try again.

So, she saw my episode with the Yukon as some type of poetic justice.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I don’t see that many here in So Cal that open the sunroof in their NNBS lol. GM did get the sunroof mechanism right though. Not too many issues w/ them.

Oh yea, that water WILL wake u up, especially if it’s cold. Rolling through a particular stop sign is the only way to avoid a full XL flood. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr