escalade/denali retractable running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your Suburban come with them?

I went and asked Chevy/Cadillac here and GMC and they said that there's a main harness (which I've seen before, it's HUGE) that runs under everything except the shell of the car that the running boards tie into. IF you have them. If not, they have to take the whole car apart to install them which could take who knows how long.

They said it's an even harder job than installing power-folding/heated captain's chairs in a Tahoe/Suburban that wasn't equipped! Must not be fun.

mine did, yes. And for a dealership to do the work, yes, I am sure they said its labor intensive because they would install them to factory specs...i.e., harnesses, reprogrammed BCMs, etc.

But, you do not need all that. You just need the steps and a way to wire them into the vehicle so that the retract when the door closes and step out when the door opens. Nothing else would be needed, presumably.

a7mad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine did, yes. And for a dealership to do the work, yes, I am sure they said its labor intensive because they would install them to factory specs...i.e., harnesses, reprogrammed BCMs, etc.

But, you do not need all that. You just need the steps and a way to wire them into the vehicle so that the retract when the door closes and step out when the door opens. Nothing else would be needed, presumably.

neat idea man

you could hook them up with dome light thingy for example.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's true, and it makes sense, but the dealers will wanna do it their way unfortunately.

Now if the guy bought them and installed them on his own, then that'd be awesome and a write-up might be wanted. :D

If it were me and I was wiring them without meeting factory specs, then I'd go for aftermarket because that is what they're for. If I had problems with my OEM steps, and they weren't installed like they were supposed to be, they wouldn't be covered.

Either way, I wish I had $1500 to spend on new steps. :(

Good luck to you OP and write back with what you decide to do.

OP
OP
alloutwarn

alloutwarn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as dumb as this sounds what if i just wanted the factory escalade retractable running boards to cover up the gap of where i removed my standard factory running boards on my denali, i dont really care if they retract or not, ive got a 2/3 lowering kit on 26s and wanted something to replace the bulky basic stock running boards, do they just bolt up??

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

heres a picture of my denali so you can see what im talking about

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
as dumb as this sounds what if i just wanted the factory escalade retractable running boards to cover up the gap of where i removed my standard factory running boards on my denali, i dont really care if they retract or not, ive got a 2/3 lowering kit on 26s and wanted something to replace the bulky basic stock running boards, do they just bolt up??

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Picture uploads don't work like that allout. You have to upload them to the internet first then put the weblink of the image inside the
img] bracketing.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it'd be a complete waste of money, YET, i understand what you mean. The running boards look stupid, but the retractables look badass. Paint them the same color as the truck and call it a day. :D

OP
OP
alloutwarn

alloutwarn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya im clueless when it comes to posting pics on here, havent figured it out yet, lol looks like im guna have to lower my denali a little more bc i refuse to put those ugly running boards back on lol...

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shit if you get them, wire them up but keep them turned off in the DIC. That way if you decide you wanna use them, you'll be able to.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, can't see the pics -- but I don't see why you couldn't mount the boards in the retracted position and not even bother with hooking up the electronics.

Seems like an expensive rocker panel, but, I don't see why you couldn't do it pretty easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman