escalade/denali retractable running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KMeloney is somewhat correct, The running boards themselves are the same, EXCEPT that the Denali and Esky ones are Completely chrome on the outside, rather than black plastic like the Tahoe.

I'd say KMeloney is COMPLETELY correct. Right from the Chevy site:

ASSIST STEPS, POWER-RETRACTABLE Close[X]

Power-retractable with chrome accent strip. Requires AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3 player and DVD-based navigation or AM/FM stereo with CD/MP3/DVD player and DVD-based navigation and Side Blind Zone Alert.

:)

Incidentally, the Esky and Denali ones are NOT completely chrome on the outside. They just have this strip as well.

/< / /2 /<

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KMeloney, Then that has changed for 2010 or 2009 because in 07 and 08 they were WITHOUT chrome strips, I know this because my closest friend has a suburban with them and they do not have them. Also as shown in this listing there is no chrome in the running boards:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...2Nm=miles&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

I hear you, Tomas. I have an '09, and I know that the chrome-accented retractable steps were an option on the '09s. So, I'm kind of in the opposite situation as you, where I know what was offered in '09, but not really before. :emotions122:

tgt624824

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ttt

Did you any of you guys end up doing this? Is the 'plug' for them already there to control the units? (I'm sure that would be too easy) :)

Thanks!
tgt

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless you were equipped with them in the beginning, they are too difficult of a job to install. They will have to rip your interior out to change some of the main wiring and run new wiring to where the harnesses will go.

It is an expensive and time-consuming job. The parts people at my Chevy dealership gave me a detailed explanation. It is much easier to just buy the aftermarket ones and install those.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shouldn't be that hard to get the OEM ones to work. The only controls for them inside the vehicle is to turn them off. Other than that, they always open when the doors are opened, and retract when they are closed.

Our 08 Suburban has them.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did your Suburban come with them?

I went and asked Chevy/Cadillac here and GMC and they said that there's a main harness (which I've seen before, it's HUGE) that runs under everything except the shell of the car that the running boards tie into. IF you have them. If not, they have to take the whole car apart to install them which could take who knows how long.

They said it's an even harder job than installing power-folding/heated captain's chairs in a Tahoe/Suburban that wasn't equipped! Must not be fun.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that those have LED's to light them up. Do the new Navigator's light up? We had an 06 Limited Edition with the running boards and they didn't light up, and they slid out rather than lowered from the car.

Either way I like those Amp Research steps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman