Engine tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after having a new transmission put in and my rear end rebuilt my engine decided to start ticking. It does it when its first started and i can hear it when i accelerate as well now. Am i doomed? I have an 07 5.3. I was going to be orsering a tuner and disabling afm. I have 136k on it.

The truck needs more work. Probably around 1500 more in parts and labor. Also its starting to rust again so i was going to have it painted.

Now that the engine is ticking should i just ditch the truck or is the ticking nothing to be alarmed about? I put a bottle of marvel mystery oil in and no difference. Helppp

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Its hard to give sound advice over the web without being able to hear how bad it is but I would try some Kreen in the oil and see what happens. It is really good stuff.

Secondarily, what kind of oil pressure are you seeing on your gauge?

My 2008 with 188,000 miles was seeing 40psi cold idle and 25psi hot idle and had the same ticking you are describing, Kreen made a noticeable difference but ultimately I ended up putting in the Mellings 10355 High volume/High pressure oil pump and have no more ticking and around 60psi oil pressure cold or hot idle.

The AFM engines come with a high volume oil pump from the factory. I added the high volume/high pressure pump just for good measure and am very pleased with the outcome.

OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theblowest my pressure drops now with the kand n filter is 35 and goes up to almost 60 when i punch it.
Its a light ticking. It only occurs when its at a cold idle then goes away. Then there is a ticking sometimes when accelerating im not sure if theyre related

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
If you are on the edge about it and is worth it getting into something newer just throw it out there and see what you can get for it.

Almost all these newer engines in every make and model vehicles have lifter tick no matter what, unless you are running some thick oil. Which only for certain environments. My moms 2016 HEMI does the same thing and is almost always there. Unless you add exhaust and get rid of the stock tubing for the air intake you will almost always hear the lifter tick. As for yours doing it after its warm and all that its hard to tell unless you start diagnosing it with compression tests and all that good stuff.

Like I said though if its doable and your worried about it get something newer. Unless you are willing to put the $$ to fix or work on it yourself. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019