Lifter Tick on New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But seriously. A ticking that only goes away, when the engine has reached operating temperature, does not sound like a ticking of the hydraulic lifters.

Maybe you should make a video of it and upload it to Youtube and post it here, so we can listen to it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be lifter, piston slap, broken or missing exhaust manifolf bolt, leaking exhaust flange in the exhaust down pipe or even a loose torque converter bolt. First thing I would do is check on a cold engine that every exhaust manifold bolt is there and touch them to make sure they arent loose or broken with head and stub still in place.

OP
OP
J

Jfarm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All, thanks for the help. I know its been a little bit but I was finally able to take it in to my mechanic and wanted to update. It turned out to be a leaking exhaust manifold. He said that a bolt had come loose probably from the heating and cooling of the engine. He tightened it up and it now sounds perfect. Thanks to everyone for all the input, I thought for sure it was a lifter tick and would have never thought about an exhaust manifold leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods