Lifter Tick on New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jfarm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

About 6 months and 10,000 miles ago I put in a rebuilt 5.3 in my 2001 Tahoe. She’s at 275k right now and running great. However, a couple weeks ago I took it in for an oil change and when I started it up after, I got a slight lifter tick. I thought it was odd but just assumed it was due to the cold and it being new oil. Now, every time I start the vehicle I will get a significant lifter tick while driving until the oil fully heats up. The coolant temperature gauge will always hit 200 degrees and then shortly after the ticking goes away. I tried changing the oil again but that has not changed anything. I also put in an oil additive as well and that has not changed anything. When I idle to let the car warm up I do not hear any ticking but once I give it gas I can hear it. Any ideas what this could be caused by? As it’s a new engine and the oil was clean after changing it, I don’t think it could be a gunked up lifter. I also do not push the engine while it’s ticking as I do not want to damage the new engine. Thank you all for your thoughts.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Or the place you took it in for an oil change did not put oil in it started it let it run did damage,then realized what they did.Put oil in it and gave it back to you without your knowledge.Thats worst case scenario but i would of went right back in and quesitoned it immediately.Should be able to put your hand down there when you first start it cold to see if its a exhaust manifold leak or not.Or crawl up in the engine with a stethescope or long screw driver is what i use to localize the noise.

OP
OP
J

Jfarm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All,

Thanks for the input so far. I looked at some videos on exhaust manifold leaks and what I’m getting looks similar to what the videos show. I am going to try and get a look at it tonight after work to see if I can try and find a leak. If I can’t find anything, then I will call up the guy that put the motor in and get his thoughts. I don’t think anything severe happened with the original oil change but it’s odd that the leak shows itself right after. Will update with what I find.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now, THERE's a nugget for ya!

Never saw that happen, never heard of that being an issue.

I learn new stuff all the time!

Thanks for that...
You haven't done a "double take" "neck jerk" till you have seen spark plugs rocking in the threads on an idling engine. I have seen it a few times caused by the DIY'er with good intentions.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A loose spark plug can make a sound like that too. Sometimes you can see one wiggle just a bit while idling if it's a bit loose.
However, loose spark plugs often don't tick for long, preferring to say goodbye with a loud bang through the wheel house paneling and then sticking it the door of the car next to you, at the traffic light.. :cool:

Good if it's not a gang member, or the police..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts