Engine not reaching operating temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info ill let you guys know if the new pump and matching housing work. Here is the pump im going to get. (link is to an ebay listing.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-Engi...:ShippingMethodStandard!46360!US!-1:rk:2:pf:0

This is the only one that ive found that has a matching housing. There was one more but it had poor reviews.
It's either this or your engine is running backwards lol..good looking pump, Gates makes a quality product.

I will say when I did my engine swap the 5.3 thermostat was too small for the 6.0 water pump, but they didn't fit at all. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Chiller449

Chiller449

Reaction score
Nice!! i figured ebay would have been the cheapest. Its even a prime item on amazon. Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
Chiller449

Chiller449

Reaction score
Update! last weekend I received the new Gates pump in the mail. It has the new thermostat and housing installed already. Just had to pop the housing off to install the housing gasket. It went on just like it should. But the problem still remains. I still have coolant running through the top house on the overflow tank and the truck still will not warm up unless I plug that hose off. Things to note: When I installed the housing gasket and went to put the housing back on I noticed that the bottom of the thermostat seemed to be hitting the pump before the housing would sit flush against the pump. I would say maybe a quarter inch gap. You can press it down so it fits but it compresses the spring on the thermostat. This to me sounds like the problem but this is the 5th stat Iv'e put on and they all do that. Every parts store guy says that's the only stat this thing calls for and that's what Gates says is the oem stat for the truck. I did notice that there is a hose holder on the fan shroud that is not being used. So maybe when I installed the radiator I did not hook the hoses back up where they are supposed to go? The top hose from my surge tank runs to the top passenger side of the radiator. Just below the big hose that runs to the thermostat. At the passenger side of the radiator about in the middle I have another hose that runs to the throttle. Im thinking I might have these 2 switched? I don't see what else could be the problem other than I somehow have my belt screwed up and its turning the pump backwards. I doubt this as I followed the diagram to a t. Any ideas? I will post some pics if I can figure out how to upload them to this site. Thanks!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update! last weekend I received the new Gates pump in the mail. It has the new thermostat and housing installed already. Just had to pop the housing off to install the housing gasket. It went on just like it should. But the problem still remains. I still have coolant running through the top house on the overflow tank and the truck still will not warm up unless I plug that hose off. Things to note: When I installed the housing gasket and went to put the housing back on I noticed that the bottom of the thermostat seemed to be hitting the pump before the housing would sit flush against the pump. I would say maybe a quarter inch gap. You can press it down so it fits but it compresses the spring on the thermostat. This to me sounds like the problem but this is the 5th stat Iv'e put on and they all do that. Every parts store guy says that's the only stat this thing calls for and that's what Gates says is the oem stat for the truck. I did notice that there is a hose holder on the fan shroud that is not being used. So maybe when I installed the radiator I did not hook the hoses back up where they are supposed to go? The top hose from my surge tank runs to the top passenger side of the radiator. Just below the big hose that runs to the thermostat. At the passenger side of the radiator about in the middle I have another hose that runs to the throttle. Im thinking I might have these 2 switched? I don't see what else could be the problem other than I somehow have my belt screwed up and its turning the pump backwards. I doubt this as I followed the diagram to a t. Any ideas? I will post some pics if I can figure out how to upload them to this site. Thanks!
Did you install the thermostat up side down? It should sit flush in the housing without compressing the spring.

OP
OP
Chiller449

Chiller449

Reaction score
Did you install the thermostat up side down? It should sit flush in the housing without compressing the spring.

I installed it exactly as the gates factory sent it to me. Spring side goes into the pump. They already had the black rubber gasket on the thermostat and had it installed into the thermostat housing. All I did was put the black paper housing gasket on and bolt it back up. If you set the housing with the thermostat installed in it on the pump where it goes there is about a quarter inch gap before the housing touches the pump. The bottom of the t-stat hits the pump before the housing sits flush against the pump.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14