Engine noise - lifter, rod, ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys want to hear something weird.... its cold out now. Was 47* on the drive to work and it only makes noise between 2100 and 2500 rpm now...........

Typically, the A/C is ran less when it's cold. Hold a steady RPM where it makes the noise or an RPM just below where it starts, even if you have to hold it in a lower gear and set the cruise, and cycle the A/C on "Max" and see if the noise changes.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, the A/C is ran less when it's cold. Hold a steady RPM where it makes the noise or an RPM just below where it starts, even if you have to hold it in a lower gear and set the cruise, and cycle the A/C on "Max" and see if the noise changes.
Oh good idea. I rarely have it on, only if its family mode, otherwise if its just me then its windows and sunroof

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my fleet mechanic listen to it. He says he thinks its flexplate or torque converter. Has also said every one of the Chevy's we've used at work junks them at 90-130K

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my fleet mechanic listen to it. He says he thinks its flexplate or torque converter. Has also said every one of the Chevy's we've used at work junks them at 90-130K

You said you didn't see anything. But, maybe he could? Did he look or just listen?

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
oh shit... you got me thinking flex plate also... mine makes noise when cold on startup, a ticking, takes a while to go away...

I think i will put a camera up in there and start looking at the flex plate

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh shit... you got me thinking flex plate also... mine makes noise when cold on startup, a ticking, takes a while to go away...

I think i will put a camera up in there and start looking at the flex plate

Checked for exhaust leak? Much more common and presents the same "ticks when cold..." symptoms.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checked for exhaust leak? Much more common and presents the same "ticks when cold..." symptoms.
yeah I already fixed the 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts.... do the 2007s have a flex plate issue? I see lots of pre 2007 flexplate issue. this is the 6.2

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I already fixed the 3 broken exhaust manifold bolts.... do the 2007s have a flex plate issue? I see lots of pre 2007 flexplate issue. this is the 6.2
I've been on this forum for a few yrs and haven't heard of flex plate problem(s). We have a 07 6.2 Denali.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz