Engine noise - lifter, rod, ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the flex plate, can only hear it on the drivers side. i rode in the passanger side when we drove it to Pittsburgh and i couldnt hear it from that side. At one point it was making all kinds of terrible sounds while battling the highway being shut down but now its almost silent. No idea, still need to pull the valve cover and look. I checked the oil somewhere outside of Indy and it was clear, no glitter or metal in it. Weird. Alternator pulley or tensioner pulley sounds like poo but it doesnt anymore.

now though something in the front end, driver side wheel makes a loud pop on slow turns if under a certain speed..probably just a cv joint binding, thats an easy one.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not the flex plate, can only hear it on the drivers side. i rode in the passanger side when we drove it to Pittsburgh and i couldnt hear it from that side. At one point it was making all kinds of terrible sounds while battling the highway being shut down but now its almost silent. No idea, still need to pull the valve cover and look. I checked the oil somewhere outside of Indy and it was clear, no glitter or metal in it. Weird. Alternator pulley or tensioner pulley sounds like poo but it doesnt anymore.

now though something in the front end, driver side wheel makes a loud pop on slow turns if under a certain speed..probably just a cv joint binding, thats an easy one.
Regarding the “pop”. Mine does that sometimes too. Usually after backing up and turning then taking off. I get a pop that I believe is the wheel bearing. Come to think of it I think it went away now.
:hmmm2:

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the “pop”. Mine does that sometimes too. Usually after backing up and turning then taking off. I get a pop that I believe is the wheel bearing. Come to think of it I think it went away now.
:hmmm2:
ha...well....if the wheel hasnt fallen off it fine....everything is fine!! hahaha

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, it's not that bad. Actually the sound is back. I heard it last night. I just checked the bearings a month ago and the drivers one is a little raspy and will be replaced next oil change.

I WILL PROBABLY CHECK IT EVENTUALLY. THIS FEELS LIKE A BINDING POP, I CAN FEEL IT IN THE FLOOR BOARD

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I WILL PROBABLY CHECK IT EVENTUALLY. THIS FEELS LIKE A BINDING POP, I CAN FEEL IT IN THE FLOOR BOARD
There was a TSB about body mounts making a popping noise.

Reaction score
OK, so here is my engine noise. Its very quiet but you can hear it in the video. It started in maybe june or so after i replaced my 02 sensor. Its not an exhaust leak though. It only happens about 2k rpm and it hard to hear above 3k. It really only audible when the windows are closed and i can hear it then. Oil is regularly changed at 3k miles, with mobil 1 5w-30 and wix filter. oil is clear and clean, plenty of power is there, gas mileage is normal, no smoke or anything out the exhaust. Just wanting to get your ideas. Going to pull the valve covers tomorrow sometime with my neighbor and see if that shows us anything. Im guessing its a lifter, it sounds like its drivers side, plugs to cylinder 1 and 7 were kinda gross when I changed them about 1500 miles ago. That had no real effect on the noise. seems to quiet to be a rod knock, theres also no CEL or warnings up, truck has 91k on it. Neighbor thinks it might be a stuck lifter from carbon build up from poor maintaince from old owner but im open to ideas. Hopefully its an easy fix, supposed to drive it to PA in a month.

Hey Geo,

Did you ever get to the root cause of this? (I see you’re still active on the forum so I figured I’d ask).

OP
OP
Geoffsfas10

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Geo,

Did you ever get to the root cause of this? (I see you’re still active on the forum so I figured I’d ask).

Nope! haha. its still making it. its varies in volume now that its cold out. Sometimes its doing it, sometimes and some gears its not doing it. I changed the oil a weekend or two ago and the oil is completely clear and clean. no glitter at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts