2013 Yukon 5.3 Lifter Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon SLT 2WD 5.3L with 143,800 miles on it. I believe I have what is a lifter tick on the passengers side. AFM is not disabled. I am basing that on a 2002 Tahoe with a 5.3 I had that I knew had a bad lifter. Once the engine warms up you can hear it. The only time you cannot hear it is on the interstate at above 55. All gauges act normal during all driving conditions. It’s just driving terrible. Oil is topped off. Any ideas on what it could be besides a bad lifter or exhaust manifold?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What you’re describing is also the symptoms of an exh mani gasket failure too. You can put a piece of cardboard on the side of the motor that’s ticking to block the radiator fan from blowing over the exh mani on that side.

Tape a piece of tissue to a pencil and move it around the exhaust manifold looking for movement of the tissue. You can also use a $7 mechanics stethoscope too.

Try the ez stuff first.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Yukon SLT 2WD 5.3L with 143,800 miles on it. I believe I have what is a lifter tick on the passengers side. AFM is not disabled. I am basing that on a 2002 Tahoe with a 5.3 I had that I knew had a bad lifter. Once the engine warms up you can hear it. The only time you cannot hear it is on the interstate at above 55. All gauges act normal during all driving conditions. It’s just driving terrible. Oil is topped off. Any ideas on what it could be besides a bad lifter or exhaust manifold?

If it's "driving terrible", and I assume you mean it's not running properly, I'd suspect the noise is a failed lifter and not an exhaust leak. It's best to not continue to drive it until it's diagnosed and repaired. A failed lifter can cause compounding damage (read: much more expense) if it's continued to be operated with. 143K is too young to kill it over a lifter. Is the CEL on?

Have you checked the spark plug wires? A loose or damaged one can make a similar sound and cause a weak/no spark condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar