Engine dies - but why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mwilson62000 it's not limited to just idle. The second time it happened last night I was driving through town at roughly 30 mph.

@CBIII right now I don't have anything to monitor fuel pressure. I only have a phone app and it does appear to be one of the parameters it looks at.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@mwilson62000 it's not limited to just idle. The second time it happened last night I was driving through town at roughly 30 mph.

@CBIII right now I don't have anything to monitor fuel pressure. I only have a phone app and it does appear to be one of the parameters it looks at.
Ok. Just wondering. Years ago, my Tahoe almost died on me several times when stopping and it was simply the throttle body needed a good cleaning.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mwilson62000 and @Marky Dissod when you experienced this did the engine stumble at all? Mine runs fine and it just instantly shuts off. I've had the intake tube off a couple times but haven't noticed anything in the throttle body.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically it 'stumbled' as I'd approach a red light or stop sign. If I didn't use my left foot to brake and my right foot to gas the idle over 700RpM, the stumble would land on its face and the engine would shut off every time I failed to intervene.
Thought it was a battery / alternator issue. Turned out to be a gunked up throttle body.
Removed it, cleaned it, put it back on, problem was gone without a trace.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go to AutoZone and “rent” a fuel pressure gauge kit. Hook it up so you can tape the gauge to your windshield and see what it shows.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

There's no fuel pressure sensor on an NBS; to monitor it you'll need to rent or buy a fuel pressure test kit like @wjburken suggested.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Just wondering. Years ago, my Tahoe almost died on me several times when stopping and it was simply the throttle body needed a good cleaning.

Had this EXACT same problem a month ago. Cleaned the throttle body, problem GONE.
Mine was just like @Marky Dissod Stumbled bad, but didn’t cut off. Be worth taking the intake tube off and cleaning up the throttle plate with some throttle body cleaner.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, well I can definitely get the intake tube pulled off anyway and clean out the throttle body. I'll see about picking up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA