E85 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, getting my tune finished tomorrow.

E85 is way cheaper then 93 and E85 has an effective octane rating of 106 octane.

If your truck is an actual flex fuel equipped truck, the PCM will adjust the fueling tables and timing to take advantage of E85.........which on a stock truck would/should be good for another 10-15hp. Those of us with cams and better cylinder heads can really reap the benefits.

Yes, less mpgs, but more power aka fun.

I'm still in my break in period, and since my hoe sat for almost 5 months with E85 sitting in it, I ran a few tanks of 91 through it. I just switched back to E85, and holy shit you aren't lying about the benefits of heads/cam with E85, it really makes my 6.2 (almost 6.3) happy

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Actual Octane Rating of E85 varies it is not all the same octane. It depends on where it is processed and other factors. I live in the upper midwest and not all our fuel stations even sell the stuff. The price difference used to be substantial not anymore. Most people do not use it but rising fuel prices may change that. Our pumps do not show any octane rating for E85.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Actual Octane Rating of E85 varies it is not all the same octane. It depends on where it is processed and other factors. I live in the upper midwest and not all our fuel stations even sell the stuff. The price difference used to be substantial not anymore. Most people do not use it but rising fuel prices may change that. Our pumps do not show any octane rating for E85.

E85 at an 80% alcohol content is 105 octane R+M equivalent. 72% is 103, E15 is 88 octane. Somewhere I figured out all the categories for my calculators.

You've got a ton of station in Minneapolis that carry it right now, like the Amoco on Marshall and Cleveland for $1.79 a gallon. Get the Gas Buddy app for your phone.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 at an 80% alcohol content is 105 octane R+M equivalent. 72% is 103, E15 is 88 octane. Somewhere I figured out all the categories for my calculators.

You've got a ton of station in Minneapolis that carry it right now, like the Amoco on Marshall and Cleveland for $1.79 a gallon. Get the Gas Buddy app for your phone.
Damn I had no idea that is about a 1.00 cheaper than regular 87. That station is in the city which I rarely go into. I have filled up on that E15 a few times its a bit cheaper and 88 octane. Costco is the cheapest near me right now.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wish the prices gap was larger. At only .05 less than 87 I only run it because my truck runs so much better on it.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I filled up with E this morning

E85 - $2.59gal
93 - $3.49gal

And where I'm catless, the truck does not stink as bad either.....that will make the wife happy LOL

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I had no idea that is about a 1.00 cheaper than regular 87. That station is in the city which I rarely go into. I have filled up on that E15 a few times its a bit cheaper and 88 octane. Costco is the cheapest near me right now.
Its only about 10 to 15 cents cheaper here...