Dropping oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What brand of new sensor did you install? So many times I have seen sensors installed here, at the forum, and then the next thread is about it being a bad new sensor.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't. We got truck with that sensor. Mechanic, who replaced head and oil pump told me, that sensor was brand spanking new.
A bit easier to get to, I'd have replaced it in heartbeat myself. Just for the heck of it.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of update. As of yesterday, I had about 3000 miles on oil.
Last 2 weeks, oil pressure kept creeping down. When day one after oil change it was around 45-50, when gassed, it went down to 35 at the best and hovering just pas 20 idling.
I ordered AC Delco OEM switch AND new filter.
Took me about 2 hrs to replace them, primarily, because I had to lay down on the engine to get my hands behind. And I am 66. It's not that hard to do, just very awkward.
Anyhow. Screen filter was caked. For about 60% of its surface.
After install, unfortunately, there was not much improvement to the oil pressure. Maybe a just a little.
So I did oil change.
Now I have pressure on cold past 40 again, but the needle wildly wonders between 30 and 45 per RPM and load.
Presuming, next should be to drop oil pan and get to the oil pickup screen and the infamous O-ring?
As I am 90% sure, oil pump was replaced. Around June, when they replaced lifters and had to pull the engine out because of the broken head bolt. I know shop owner since his age 11. If HE lied to me, then I can't trust anyone in the world.
I am presuming, pump is new.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit of update. As of yesterday, I had about 3000 miles on oil.
Last 2 weeks, oil pressure kept creeping down. When day one after oil change it was around 45-50, when gassed, it went down to 35 at the best and hovering just pas 20 idling.
I ordered AC Delco OEM switch AND new filter.
Took me about 2 hrs to replace them, primarily, because I had to lay down on the engine to get my hands behind. And I am 66. It's not that hard to do, just very awkward.
Anyhow. Screen filter was caked. For about 60% of its surface.
After install, unfortunately, there was not much improvement to the oil pressure. Maybe a just a little.
So I did oil change.
Now I have pressure on cold past 40 again, but the needle wildly wonders between 30 and 45 per RPM and load.
Presuming, next should be to drop oil pan and get to the oil pickup screen and the infamous O-ring?
As I am 90% sure, oil pump was replaced. Around June, when they replaced lifters and had to pull the engine out because of the broken head bolt. I know shop owner since his age 11. If HE lied to me, then I can't trust anyone in the world.
I am presuming, pump is new.
I think your oil pressure is just fine, personally. Given all of that, if at some point it drops further, and you want to chase it down, I would be inclined to look for an oil pressure loss elsewhere. Possibly cam bearings, or the cam thrust plate seal.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I am freaking out over this. Daily driver. Also, I saw very wide scattered opinions on what the normal pressure is. 60 included.
Personally, I have no problems with it, as far as it does not drop past 20. Also, I do not mind doing frequent oil changes. I have lift, it's not that hard. Kinda odd that it was good good good and then started dropping, as oil started getting darker.
I know this engine was abused. Owned by female before. I don't think, she even changed oil in it. T-case had tar in it, it was never changed.
It's just so annoying to drive with left eye tracking pressure oil the time - as I really like how truck rides and want to enjoy it.
Oh, and bank 2 has new head and cam and bearings and lifters. Bank 1 head is very quiet.
NO leaks. VERY dry under. No smoke.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am freaking out over this. Daily driver. Also, I saw very wide scattered opinions on what the normal pressure is. 60 included.
Personally, I have no problems with it, as far as it does not drop past 20. Also, I do not mind doing frequent oil changes. I have lift, it's not that hard. Kinda odd that it was good good good and then started dropping, as oil started getting darker.
I know this engine was abused. Owned by female before. I don't think, she even changed oil in it. T-case had tar in it, it was never changed.
It's just so annoying to drive with left eye tracking pressure oil the time - as I really like how truck rides and want to enjoy it.
Oh, and bank 2 has new head and cam and bearings and lifters. Bank 1 head is very quiet.
I always lose around 5 psi of oil pressure as the oil ages. Viscosity drops as the additives are consumed.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll know it’s a problem worth fixing when you can’t keep it above 20-25 at high rpm. When my oil pressure sensor screen was plugged in my 2012, that’s what I was experiencing on a ski trip until I got the oil pressure warning from the console after climbing Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado. Did an oil change in the condo parking lot at 0°F on New Years Day, added some Lucas oil stabilizer (thickener), and it got me home.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned probably around 30 plus cars by now. Various years, various types of oil pressure gauges - or lack of them.
This is one and only I have that has oil gauge do such dance. I am used to gauge sit somewhere in the middle without moving.
That needle freaks me out totally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645