Don't always trust your mechanic, fixed my "blown" engine for $7.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Awesome find and congrats! If it weren't you, it would've been someone else. We all need a break every once in a while. She could've taken it to another shop but she didn't. Glad you got er fixed up.
I have to admit it’s nice to catch a break. Years ago I picked up a 86 olds 88 for $500 because the shop told the customer the cam was wiped. I took the valve cover off and found so much sludge. Decided to do a major engine flush and see what happened. After a few oil changes she purred quietly. Sold it for $2500 a month later.

OP
OP

73TA

Reaction score
I do plan on contacting her and letting her know that they had misdiagnosed her engine. Not sure I will tell her that it was just a spark plug though, might say it was a broken valve spring to help ease some of the pain this.

Decided to buff it out, wanted to cleanup the tree sap, scratches, etc., before I tackled all the little problems listed below (I guess the oil pressure switch/sensor would not be a little problem based upon the light show on the dash).

A buddy of mine that I sold my 07 C6 z51 6 speed to brought over his HP tuners (did not have to buy credits to connect and run codes) and was able to connect and find the brake switch code and check a lot of the other operating variables of the engine while it was running that my Foxwell scanner would not do.

Not a much of a fan of black wheels so I put the stock chrome 22's (the tires look like they only have a few thousand miles) back on and replaced all the center caps with a set from Amazon. Caps were real nice and fit well.

Wanted to detail the outside before I posted pics, will upload them tomorrow.

Still got a short list of minor known Esky problems to address.

1. Repair/Replace a faulty front impact sensor, common problem (Airbag light on). Second on my list to do tomorrow.

2. Repair/Replace driver’s side door latch assembly (interior lights don't come on, other doors turn them on.

3. Replace brake switch under the dash (brake lights work fine, got a code, haven't tried the cruise yet, probably doesn't work)

4. Replace oil pressure switch/sensor with new AC Delco part. Dash still have all the usual fault lights event thought the cylinder 6 misfire has been fixed with the new plugs. Part will be in tomorrow, first thing on my list to do.

5. Heated seats don't work, another common problem, will check the fuses and module wiring under the passenger seat.

6. Power running boards don't work, another common problem, will check the fuses, connections, and lube everything.

7. Rear backup camera does not work, another common problem will check the fuses and connections.

Fortunately I have a 2009 I bought for parts Tahoe to get most of the parts I need.

I assume that there is a stuck CD in the player, could not load one. Will get to that later.

I actually plan on taking it on 150 mile road trip on Saturday to Lake Coeur D'alene this Saturday, just wanted to get all the lights off first, If a get to all the little stuff before then I will consider it a bonus.

Mike

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think Coeur D'alene is where BBT is? Right?

I agree with @BlaineBug, I would not say anything to her for fear of her feeling bad and maybe raising hell with the shop. If she went to that shop she would need someone to be with her that understands the vehicle and can speak on her behalf.

IMO, if you feel that strongly about it I would go to the shop and ask to speak to the owner and tell him/her what took place and how you are VERY tempted to tell the lady what has happened and that if they give you grief you will tell her the whole story.

This reminds me of how I got in to auto repair in the first place. I was a photographer. just out of the service and looking for a photo journalist job at a paper or magazine. None to be had. My mom had a problem with her car and took to a shop. They told her it needed an engine. A family friend looked at it and found a vacuum leak a 2 loose plugs. I stormed in to that shop and we almost came to blows. I decided to then take my knowledge of what my dad had taught me and my desire and I went to a school for 6 months. I was then in the field for 35+ years. I hated any shop that took advantage of anyone, let alone an unknowing lady like my mom.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I do plan on contacting her and letting her know that they had misdiagnosed her engine. Not sure I will tell her that it was just a spark plug though, might say it was a broken valve spring to help ease some of the pain this.

Decided to buff it out, wanted to cleanup the tree sap, scratches, etc., before I tackled all the little problems listed below (I guess the oil pressure switch/sensor would not be a little problem based upon the light show on the dash).

A buddy of mine that I sold my 07 C6 z51 6 speed to brought over his HP tuners (did not have to buy credits to connect and run codes) and was able to connect and find the brake switch code and check a lot of the other operating variables of the engine while it was running that my Foxwell scanner would not do.

Not a much of a fan of black wheels so I put the stock chrome 22's (the tires look like they only have a few thousand miles) back on and replaced all the center caps with a set from Amazon. Caps were real nice and fit well.

Wanted to detail the outside before I posted pics, will upload them tomorrow.

Still got a short list of minor known Esky problems to address.

1. Repair/Replace a faulty front impact sensor, common problem (Airbag light on). Second on my list to do tomorrow.

2. Repair/Replace driver’s side door latch assembly (interior lights don't come on, other doors turn them on.

3. Replace brake switch under the dash (brake lights work fine, got a code, haven't tried the cruise yet, probably doesn't work)

4. Replace oil pressure switch/sensor with new AC Delco part. Dash still have all the usual fault lights event thought the cylinder 6 misfire has been fixed with the new plugs. Part will be in tomorrow, first thing on my list to do.

5. Heated seats don't work, another common problem, will check the fuses and module wiring under the passenger seat.

6. Power running boards don't work, another common problem, will check the fuses, connections, and lube everything.

7. Rear backup camera does not work, another common problem will check the fuses and connections.

Fortunately I have a 2009 I bought for parts Tahoe to get most of the parts I need.

I assume that there is a stuck CD in the player, could not load one. Will get to that later.

I actually plan on taking it on 150 mile road trip on Saturday to Lake Coeur D'alene this Saturday, just wanted to get all the lights off first, If a get to all the little stuff before then I will consider it a bonus.

Mike
She might want to buy it back once you fix everything that's wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160