Does the winter/cold weather delay shift points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced shift times being different when it’s cold. But it never gets much below freezing here.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got an 06 Denali Xl 6.0 and I’m pretty sure a 4L60e, I’ve read that it might be a 65 though I’m doubt it.

my question is, and I don’t wanna sound dumb, but it’s my first winter outside of California so this is all new to me. Does the winter/ cold or whatever delay shift points?

I know my trans is in good condition, I keep it well maintained and it’s never given me an issue other than the time it lost almost 7 quarts driving down the palisades lol.

Since the snowstorm Thursday, I’ve noticed it revs high to shift. And also that the shifts points are delayed. Normally first to second is at 15mph at 2000rpm, for the past few days it’s at 20-25mph at 3000rpm. And after a red light it takes forever to get out first and it revs to almost 3500-4000rpm.

I’ve read about letting it warm up before driving, but I have a performance cooler on it, since I lived in California to deal with the heat, and It takes forever to heat up. Even driving an hour and a half at 80 every morning it never passes 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to cover all the bases! Thanks guys!
I dont see cold causing a 4000 rpm shift, but how cold are we talking? You said youre from California so cold to you isn't necessarily cold to me Midwest, and cold to me isnt cold to a U.P. or Minnesota member lol.

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
I dont see cold causing a 4000 rpm shift, but how cold are we talking? You said youre from California so cold to you isn't necessarily cold to me Midwest, and cold to me isnt cold to a U.P. or Minnesota member lol.

well I’m in New York now and last week we got hit with a snow storm, so temperatures have been on the lower end. Today’s the highest with 55, but it’s been in the 20-30s.

Ive noticed the shifts have gotten better but it’s still doing it. The shifts themselves aren’t rough, and my tuner suggested I try and cut out a cardboard sized piece of my tranny cooler over the cooler and it’ll heat up to operating temp to see if it’s actually a cooling problem.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I’m in New York now and last week we got hit with a snow storm, so temperatures have been on the lower end. Today’s the highest with 55, but it’s been in the 20-30s.

Ive noticed the shifts have gotten better but it’s still doing it. The shifts themselves aren’t rough, and my tuner suggested I try and cut out a cardboard sized piece of my tranny cooler over the cooler and it’ll heat up to operating temp to see if it’s actually a cooling problem.
Yeah, ive had my Tahoe and silvy long enough that ive driven them in that type of cold and never noticed a shift over 3000 that wasnt meant to be that high.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is stupid cold no matter where your from and doesn't even include the wind chill which can be -50 below zero. Look close and you will see the high this day was -4.

DSCF2485.JPG

Last edited: