DIY: Tahoe Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikewayne

Reaction score
Thanks for such a nice informative post along with explanation in the forms of images that makes us easy to understand all the technical terms as they seem easy to understand due to the images.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did mine today awesome only thing i had a 4inch c clamp little more diff but still got it done

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the parking brake adjuster...

DSC_0012.gif

GM were dumbasses and didn't make it auto adjusting, nor even externally adjustable.

As seen in this pic, you would turn the upper edge of the star wheel toward the backing plate to tighten the brakes.

Are you sure there's no external adjuster?

I just did this today but took it all down as you showed so I could inspect the shoes, axle seals, and backing plates while I was at it. I ended up cleaning things up and using rustoleum on the backing plates that are starting to show some rust.

My previous SUV was a Trailblazer with the same type of e-brake setup. The adjustment was done from the inside of the vehicle at the parking brake lever. There was a ratcheting mechanism that you depressed with a screwdriver, then cycled the handle three times repeating as necessary.

BlueMeanie

Reaction score
I have a question about something....the pin that you remove to get the rotor off...do i need to put it back on once i place the new rotor on?

sureshot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the very helpful post.
My friend's Tahoe E-brake was not holding, and I had no idea there was a drum brake inside the disc brake.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
Awesome info!

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Are you sure there's no external adjuster?

I just did this today but took it all down as you showed so I could inspect the shoes, axle seals, and backing plates while I was at it. I ended up cleaning things up and using rustoleum on the backing plates that are starting to show some rust.

My previous SUV was a Trailblazer with the same type of e-brake setup. The adjustment was done from the inside of the vehicle at the parking brake lever. There was a ratcheting mechanism that you depressed with a screwdriver, then cycled the handle three times repeating as necessary.

Did this post lose anybody else?