DIY: Tahoe Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does it matter.. what happens if you get them backwards?

funny you do this write up right after I had Blizz help me do mine

great write up :)
if you get them backwards they sit ****-eyed; the rivet hits the caliper.

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
Did this over the weekend and my truck called for a 12MM Socket and 16MM open end to loosen the caliber bolt. I have the two piston calibers and mine is 4x4, not sure if yours is 4X4 but that may be the difference. Either way, great write up.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, mines 2wd. also dual piston Calipers though.

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
no, mines 2wd. also dual piston Calipers though.

I see why you said 6" C clamp. My 5" would not make it to the other side of the caliber. I had to take them off to push the pistons back in. Wow, there are some serious weener joke opportunities there.

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
The pads that I got weren't like yours. I think it would be pad specific if there were an inner and outer pad that had to go in a specific spot. Either way the write up helped me out lastnight.

Noto81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pads that I got weren't like yours. I think it would be pad specific if there were an inner and outer pad that had to go in a specific spot. Either way the write up helped me out lastnight.

The old and new were the same on mine as well. But I made sure too look closely. Thanks Eagle

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get them backwards they sit ****-eyed; the rivet hits the caliper.

That EFFFING happened to me! I got new pads and rotors put on by a local shop and now the thing pulls hard to the right everytime I brake. I am putting new pads on tonight...the right way.

ISELLSPEED

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did rear rotors and pads on mine last night and they are noisy as heck.
They squeak as I go down the road. Now the backing plates are almost gone but I could not replace them at this time. We bent what was left of the backing plates out of the way and didnt think that would be an issue. I dont know what could be causing the noise. Gonna check the rivets but other then that I am lost.

Any ideas guys ?
Help

2000 Tahoe 4x4, dual piston calibers with the 13" rotors.

gdmatson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! I have an 04 4x4 and the caliper needed 12mm/16mn. Everything went smooth. My emergency brake works again!

tekkitan

Reaction score
Did mine a couple weekends ago. Didn't need a torch to get the 18mm bolts free though. Just my breaker bar and my arms ;)

The writeup was a great guide though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518