DIY: Tahoe Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foxracer025

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 4x4 that I just changed the rear brakes on. I can confirm that you will need a 16mm open end wrench and a 12mm socket to remove the outer piece of the caliper, and a 18mm socket to remove the caliper bolts. My best advice if you are doing this is to take a set of the old brake pads with you to the auto parts if you go. I went to the auto parts and got the best ceramic pads they had and they weren't the right ones. Had to make a trip back and the guy had to open 5 different boxes to find the right ones. Other than that great write up! Thanks.

Last edited:

godsend1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there's a difference in regards to rear brake parts in an 06' Tahoe 2wd with tow package vice non-tow package?

Thanks

ronboc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I realize this may be an old thread, but I wanted to give kudos to the OP guy.

I actually broke a Craftsman 18mm socket trying to get a caliper-bracket bolt off! :emotions133: Then I found his terrific post and dug out the ol' torch... easy-peasy!

Many thanks to you, kind sir! :roflbow: :roflbow: :roflbow:

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that the AdvanceAuto Wearever pads that I initially got (sorry, don't remember the actual part number) did NOT fit in the caliper-bracket. The little ears/tabs on the take-off pads were kind of an rounded or oval shape on the outside (where they slide in the bracket), while the new ones were more of a rectangular shape, and therefore were binding in the rounded bracket 'slot'.

Not dissing Advance Auto, as they immediately apologized and took them back without any issue, but just wanted to throw it out in case you're like me with only one vehicle and had to put EVERYTHING together so's I could get to another store to get the right ones.

YMMV :Good or Bad:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@07Burb are you able to retrieve these pics or nah?
nope...nothing I can do unfortunately :( Looks like they were caught up in the Photobucket catastrophe a year or two ago and OP most likely deleted them as a result so there's no recovering them.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one of the scotty's had some .. .. Maybe?
@ScottyBoy @Scottydoggs
If I did have any, mine are stuck in Photobucket as well. And I am not sure of any difference between the SUV's with the factory tow package versus those without. I DO know that there was two different calipers though, some had a single piston rear caliper but most of them have the dual piston rear calipers.
Also I can speak from personal experience about putting loctite on the caliper bracket bolts. I had an "accident" where I was on a road trip and one of the caliper bracket bolts came out and it ended up causing a lot of carnage because the caliper "tilted" and began rubbing on my wheel at 75mph and literally cut my wheel in half!! The wheel basically "exploded" after the caliper cut into it, and that ended up ripping the brake line off, and bent up my rear shock. I had done the brakes about 2-3 years prior and didn't use loctite when I re-installed the bolts. Now I use loctite on ALL of my brake bolts, even the slide pins. Here's a pic of my wheel cut in half, notice all the brake fluid inside the tire. IMG_20160501_184312788.jpg IMG_20160501_184340111.jpg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes!!!! :eek:

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
If I did have any, mine are stuck in Photobucket as well. And I am not sure of any difference between the SUV's with the factory tow package versus those without. I DO know that there was two different calipers though, some had a single piston rear caliper but most of them have the dual piston rear calipers.
Also I can speak from personal experience about putting loctite on the caliper bracket bolts. I had an "accident" where I was on a road trip and one of the caliper bracket bolts came out and it ended up causing a lot of carnage because the caliper "tilted" and began rubbing on my wheel at 75mph and literally cut my wheel in half!! The wheel basically "exploded" after the caliper cut into it, and that ended up ripping the brake line off, and bent up my rear shock. I had done the brakes about 2-3 years prior and didn't use loctite when I re-installed the bolts. Now I use loctite on ALL of my brake bolts, even the slide pins. Here's a pic of my wheel cut in half, notice all the brake fluid inside the tire. View attachment 219668 View attachment 219669
I remember that, scary !!! Locktite on the list lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons