DIY: Smoking Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up..

I see soooo many crappy nightshade jobs.. me and my wife kinda make it a game to see who can stop the ****** half ass job first.. lol

one thing id like to toss out there.. most good shops who would smoke out a portion of your lights like this will actually spray a coat of clear over the ENTIRE light after the Nightshades.. and wetsand and polish the whole light... this will stop the color from catching an edge while they are going through the intense rigors of normal driving conditions , and chipping , pealing, or getting miscolored patches in the painted area.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DW those are beautiful tails. but one ? the seats those are on they look like really nice movie seats so i am thinking that because ur tails r on them you might have a theater in your house. looks good

Your right those are theater chairs, this is at my dads business. He has a theater here and one in his house! It's awesome!:Handshake:

Great write up..

I see soooo many crappy nightshade jobs.. me and my wife kinda make it a game to see who can stop the ****** half ass job first.. lol

one thing id like to toss out there.. most good shops who would smoke out a portion of your lights like this will actually spray a coat of clear over the ENTIRE light after the Nightshades.. and wetsand and polish the whole light... this will stop the color from catching an edge while they are going through the intense rigors of normal driving conditions , and chipping , pealing, or getting miscolored patches in the painted area.

Yeah your right I've seen alot of crappy niteshade jobs for sure. After I'm done tinting them I spray 3-4 coats of clear and after it dries really good I wetsand,buff, and polish them out so they match the paint on the truck!:party33:

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh ok i thought in your writeup you were saying Just clear it while the tape was still on .. my bad brother.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ok i thought in your writeup you were saying Just clear it while the tape was still on .. my bad brother.

Oh my bad I understand what your say now! Sorry still about asleep this morning:sleepy10: I actually have since tinted tails for customers who have wanted to leave the reverse lights clear and I clear over the WHOLE light and it does look better.

However I didn't clear over the reverse part of my finace's car and it's been on there for about a year or so with no chipping or anything!:hands: Guess I got lucky:party33:

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my bad I understand what your say now! Sorry still about asleep this morning:sleepy10: I actually have since tinted tails for customers who have wanted to leave the reverse lights clear and I clear over the WHOLE light and it does look better.

However I didn't clear over the reverse part of my finace's car and it's been on there for about a year or so with no chipping or anything!:hands: Guess I got lucky:party33:

the back lights wont be AS bad.. since its not getting sand blasted and pressure washed at 100mph daily.. and some people will get lucky.. but for an extra 13 seconds and 42c worth of clear you can eliminate luck from the equation lol :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Something neat you can do with the tails.. that i think looks SICK.... for people with external backuplights.. or people who dont mind losing their reverse lights (myself)...

Get the clear RED and NIGHTSHADES. .. and spray the whole tail red first.. then mask off just the reverse lights and then do everything you just said.. then pull the tape off of the reverse lights and reclear...

Before re installing splice the reverse light bulbs into your tail or brake light lines..

So the whole tail will be smoked.. with the little red lenses/brake lights where the reverse lights were.. not only does it look cool.. but i have friends in high police profile areas that this keeps out off trouble.. since the cops see the red on the tails and are less likely to pounce..

05_nali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to do mine too since the cheapest set I can find cost around $180.... How much will all the materials cost?

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do mine too since the cheapest set I can find cost around $180.... How much will all the materials cost?

material cost might be 180
the sense in that you've accomplished your unique set of lights? priceless...
theres some things money cant buy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
payneml