DIY: Smoking Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This writeup is done on my 2008 Silverado but can be done the same for Tahoes. I take no responsibility if you damage your headlights or get a ticket for this mod, this is a do it at your on risk mod.

You will need the following materials:

1 can of VHT Nite Shades
1 can of Duplicolor Clear Coat
2000 Wet/Dry sandpaper
Scuffing pad
1-2" Painters tape
Acetone ( or something to remove and dirt or debris from lights)
Rubbing compound
Zaino swirl mark remover ( or your choice of polish )
Couple of terry clothes or microfiber clothes

I've since started using a Areomax clear which has a hardener that has to be activated before using. This stuff will give you body shop results!:Handshake:

31494300053_large.jpg

Step 1: Remove headlights from Vehicle.

Step 2: After you have your headlights removed clean the lights really good with some sort of cleaner to remove any dirt,debris, or anything that would cause the tape not to stick. I used acetone with a terry cloth to clean my lights.

Step 3: Tape off the section which you want blacked out. I made my tapline real close to reflectors but this is all a personal choice of how much of the light you want to black out.

31494300038_large.jpg

Step 4: After you get your tape line in place go ahead and tape off the rest of the headlight lense to prevent overspray. I went ahead and tapped up the edges just to be on the safe side.

31494300039_large.jpg

31494300040_large.jpg

Step 5: Take your scuffing pad and sand the the headlight where you will be painting. Scuff it up enough so it has a dull finish with no shine. This will help the paint to stick to the lights. Your lights should look like this when your done. Wipe down any dust that might be on your lights from sanding.

31494300041_large.jpg

Step 6: Now your ready to start blacking out the lights. Shake the Nite Shades for at least 60 seconds before spraying. Spray the Nite Shades in lights coats so you will not have any runs. I sprayed about 12"s away from the lights to prevent runs. I waited about 5-10 minutes between each coat to make sure it was good and dry. Always turn your can upside down and clean out the sprayer after each coat. This stuff dries pretty quick. I didn't have my camera with me after the first coat but here's what my lights looked like after the 2nd coat of Nite Shades.

31494300042_large.jpg

3rd coat of Nite Shades:

31494300043_large.jpg

Step 7: After the Nite Shades has fully dried your ready to clear coat. Shake the can for at least 60-90 seconds to insure it has mixed good. Before clearing make sure the lights do not have any kind of dust, lint, etc. I sprayed the clear about 2-4"s away from the light to get a good wet coat of clear on the lights. Make sure you get good even coats. You can put as many coats as you want I usually do 3-4 wet coats. Always turn your can upside and clear the sprayer after each coat.

First coat of clear:

31494300045_large.jpg

Third coat of clear:

31494300046_large.jpg

Let the lights dry at least 6-13 hours to ensure they are dried enough to sand. Remove the tape carefully before moving on to the next step.

Step 8: Now that the lights are dry it's time to wetsand them out to remove any orange peel. I used a 2000 wet/dry sandpaper. Get a bucket of water and let the sandpaper sit so that's it fully soaked. Take your sandpaper and start sanding using light pressure. You can wipe the light off every minute or so to see how much more sanding you need to do. Always keep the sandpaper and light wet so you will not sand through the clear. You are looking for a nice dull finish to know your done wetsanding. If you see any shiny spots like these keep sand untill they are gone.

31494300048_large.jpg

Your lights should look like this when your done sanding.

31494300049_large.jpg

Step 9: Take some rubbing compound and rub it into the light. This will start to bring the shine back to the lights. Do 3-4 coats of compound and your lights will look like this.

31494300050_large.jpg

Step 10: After you finish with the compound take a clear polish of your choice ( I used Zaino swirl mark remover ) and put 2-4 coats on the lights to get the most shine out of them.

31494300051_large.jpg

31494300067_large.jpg

31494300056_large.jpg

Just install the light back to your vehicle and you now have blacked out lights:rockit: Hope this writeup will be useful! If you have any questions please feel free to send me a email or PM.

Thanks,
DwDrummer

Last edited:

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
Thats a very cool mod!

Thanks for sharing and the great pics/how to!

Im might do this on my 07 Duramax unstead of taking the lights apart to get the amber out.

Would love more pics of your front end and one of the whole truck.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up bud! Might have to give this a try when I get some free time.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I added a few more pictures!:D

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess this would work for the tail lights too?

DW did you do those for your tahoes tails? if so, pics?

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess this would work for the tail lights too?

DW did you do those for your tahoes tails? if so, pics?

Yes you can use this for tail lights or any lights. I done the same process for all my lights, however the last set of lights that I done I used the areomax clear:Handshake: Here's a picture of my stock tails that I used to have, I've since sold them and tinted some LED tails. Gotta get some good pictures of them.

33598250055_large.jpg

Where do you get the aeromax clear?

Added pics look SICK!! Awesome truck!

I get it from my friend who stocks it where he works so it's F R E E for me when I need it!:hands: Google it you can buy it online just can't remember where. It's about $36 a can which is the sucky part. Thanks for the compliments!:Handshake:

Bad thing about the aeromax clear is that it HAS to be used in 12 hours. No exceptions :emotions122:

Yes that is the bad part:emotions122:
greta wright up dw

Thanks!:Handshake:

jdub5256

J-DUB
Reaction score
DW those are beautiful tails. but one ? the seats those are on they look like really nice movie seats so i am thinking that because ur tails r on them you might have a theater in your house. looks good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019