Disabling DRL on 1998 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikel

Reaction score
This could very well apply to any GM vehicle using the same DRL Module 42767.

I have messed with this problem for a while. Everyone has there method, and I found most of them are stop gap measures that really cause other issues.

If you pull the DRL relay then other intrument features will drop.

If you pull the DRL Module again other instrument features will stop, i.e no PBrake light.

After studying the schematic from the factory shop manual I found the best/cheapest solution is the cut the relay lane on the DRL module circuit board. The nice think about this is that with a little solder you can reenable the DRL feature.

Below is a pic of the mod. The right hand tab of the module were it plugs in, the second from the right most connector is what allows the modele to trip the DRL Relay turning on the head lights. Simple score the pathway just above the silver connector part. You will make to cuts about 2mm apart. Then you want to scrap away the copper material between those two cuts. This breaks the electrical connection just for contacting the DRL relay.

This is simple fix. When you look at your module you will see the pathway. If for somereason you want to reenable the DRL feature, just lightly scrap the connector path so that some copper is exposed and reconnect the two with a little solder. It will not take much and don't go more then 2mm onto the silver part of the connector or it will interfere with the reinsertion of the module.

Tahoe-DRL-Mod.jpg

Attachments

• Tahoe-DRL-Mod.jpg
    Tahoe-DRL-Mod.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

OkcLarryD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why you would want to disable the DLR's on your truck.
The DLR's quit on another truck I owned and I could not believe how many people were pulling out in front of me all of a sudden. After a couple of weeks, I replaced the module with a new GM one and the rest of the world quit pulling out in front of me.
I thought "Wow! I didn't know that module affected that many cars"
Seriously.........if they can't see ya, they will pull out if front of ya.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could have just pulled the fuse for the lights

Just realized this thread is 2 years old

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

saif najd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the "DRL Module" !!!

I looked for it every where!!

19 tahoe 97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the "DRL Module" !!!

I looked for it every where!!
If you sit in the driver's seat and look down by your right knee you will see a bulge. (in this picture bulge appears to be above the brake pedal)
IMG_0099.JPG

If you look under that bulge there is a small black box attached to a bracket with wires coming out of the top. pull off the box and unplug the wires and that will disable the DRLs. You may need to use a flat head screwdriver or needle nose pliers to get the box off the bracket. removing this box has had no effects on other lights or systems that I have noticed and my brake light still comes on when I put down the parking/emergency brake.

Last edited: