Did a 6.0 swap in your 1/2T....what cam did you use in the 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Looks like that head is done for? Do you know what caused this or what happened right before it went bang? What springs were you running with the cam? I have been considering the TSP stg 2 high lift cam kit which came with springs included and the other necessary parts. Good luck with getting that back in shape and together again. Did you ever run your 6.0 with the factory 1721 cam for comparison sake?

I do see the value in not going high lift and leaving a bit on the table, with the Summit cam very appealing at this point if I decide to not use the factory cam. I'd love to see comparison head to head like the Holdener videos of stock 6.0 vs mildly modified 6.0(a little head work and a cam change) I am going to have some head work done prior to installing, multi angle valve job, spring change, and bowl blend. In the past, I've had conversations with long time engine builders and I've heard this mentioned numerous times by more than one of them. Big heads, smaller cam....you'll be pleasantly surprised by that combo. Thank you all for the info so far. Hope the information continues to flow in here.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get better Quality springs and you won’t have to worry about it. PSI 1511 or if your cam is bigger than those get the BTR duals.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling this thread back from the dead. Been looking at different cam options, read quite a bit about cam selection, and had pretty much decided to try the small-iish cam with big breathing heads combo that has shown good results.

I had zero'd in on and located for sale, a factory GM Trailblazer SS cam, which I later found is the standard LS2 camshaft. 204/213 .521" This seemed like a happy medium between the factory LQ4/LQ9 camshaft and the quite common 212/218 low or high lift aftermarket camshaft. I've now backed away from the LS2 cam when I discovered the cam sensor location is different, front vs. rear, which would require a new timing cover and harness extension for the cam sensor being moved.

Anyone here running an LS2 spec 6.0 in their Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon?

What are your impressions of it, good bad or otherwise?

I know most people want the "biggest" cam they can run, and afford the build but I'm more into the sleeper, mid range build vs the all out screamer.

I see the Summit cams 8718 and 8719 are close spec-wise to an LS2 camshaft. Are there other cams with similar specs but without the necessity to change cam sensor location that the LS2 requires?

Any cams for sale out here that would fit the bill for my build? This is the last piece of my puzzle. Everything else is done and purchased. Thanks everyone.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kinda depends on the heads used but generally for max torque and near stock idle and stock converter I've used this cam before.
Basically power from idle to 5500. No spring upgrade required but LS6 springs work good.

Summit Truck Tow cam

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kinda depends on the heads used but generally for max torque and near stock idle and stock converter I've used this cam before.
Basically power from idle to 5500. No spring upgrade required but LS6 springs work good.

Summit Truck Tow cam
Thank you for the reply. I'm using 317's that are going to have a little bowl blend work, valve job and possibly cut a smidge to approach the 10.5:1 CR point. Was there a noticable difference with that cam vs using a stock 6.0 LQx camshaft if you have tried both back to back? Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link on Holdener's videos, I've watched all of his early on in this build, back before the machine work was done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods