Did a 6.0 swap in your 1/2T....what cam did you use in the 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm part way thru a new 6.0 build to drop in my 04 Tahoe. Machine work is done and assembly is on the block now. I have the stock GM "1721" camshaft, but undecided whether to use it or some aftermarket camshaft. I do not want a choppy idle or upper RPM cam. This is a daily driver that tows on occasion, so it has to be stock converter, and mild tune compatible.

I have my eyes on a few different options, but let's hear what others did and how the end result was. Thanks.

If you did a 6.0 swap.....what camshaft did you use, why that cam, and how happy are you with it for daily driver?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they actually recommend a higher stall for towing. it will let you take off from a dead stop much easier, and it still locks up at hwy speed just like normal.

toss a zo6 cam in it, thats 40 hp right there.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Summit 8719 cam in my 6.0 swap, works great with the stock converter, tame idle and has power everywhere, also very affordable compared to guys like BTR, Cam Motion, TSP, etc.

check my last post in the thread below for an idle clip

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...-3-to-l96-6-0-pics.91747/page-19#post-1432918

Excellent info and what I was hoping would turn up in this thread. Thank you for posting. Did you run the 6.0 with the stock cam before swapping in the Summit 8719 cam where you could give a seat of the pants and drivability comparison? The 8719 is one that I was considering and looking into. Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they actually recommend a higher stall for towing. it will let you take off from a dead stop much easier, and it still locks up at hwy speed just like normal.

toss a zo6 cam in it, thats 40 hp right there.

I'd never toss a z06 cam in a daily driver heavy truck, Tahoe. Sure it might be 40hp right there...but where @ what rpm? The drivability requirements and cam selection of a Z06 is completely different from a heavy truck SUV daily driver. Thanks for the reply.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a TSP 212/218 high lift in my 6.0. It's not choppy at all and has all lowend/midrange power I honestly wish it was a bigger cam but its great at everything. I'd do the low lift version if you don't mind leaving 10hp on the table.

That Summit cam is a good choice as well. Pretty much any stage 1/2 designed for a 4.8 or 5.3 will be even milder in a 6.0 and work great for your needs.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5002-tsp-stage-2-low-lift-cathedral-camshaft.aspx

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a TSP 212/218 high lift in my 6.0. It's not choppy at all and has all lowend/midrange power I honestly wish it was a bigger cam but its great at everything. I'd do the low lift version if you don't mind leaving 10hp on the table.

That Summit cam is a good choice as well. Pretty much any stage 1/2 designed for a 4.8 or 5.3 will be even milder in a 6.0 and work great for your needs.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5002-tsp-stage-2-low-lift-cathedral-camshaft.aspx

Thank you, another on spot reply. I was considering the TSP 212/218 high lift version. Can I ask why you suggest the low lift version though instead of the high lift version?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, another on spot reply. I was considering the TSP 212/218 high lift version. Can I ask why you suggest the low lift version though instead of the high lift version?

You could save a few bucks by using LS6 springs instead of something more expensive and I don't think the power difference would be noticeable in an otherwise stock 6.0

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent info and what I was hoping would turn up in this thread. Thank you for posting. Did you run the 6.0 with the stock cam before swapping in the Summit 8719 cam where you could give a seat of the pants and drivability comparison? The 8719 is one that I was considering and looking into. Thanks again.

No, unfortunately I did not run the 6.0 with the stock cam so I cant provide a direct comparison to stock. When I first got the 6.0 I installed the TSP 212/218 High Lift Cam and swapped it for my 5.3, if you browse my thread you'll see I went through a couple different setups. Compared to the TSP cam I feel like the Summit cam has better midrange but when I switched to the Summit cam I also swapped from the rect port heads to cathedral port heads so I think that has alot to do with it. You really cant go wrong with any of the big name brands and they all offer a grind that would suit your needs, but I do think the summit cams offer the best value at $259.99.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Gwatney Performance. I'm planning on buying one of their VVT cams for my 2012.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts