Depreciation!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at them now, and not really seeing it. A new 18 LT 4wd is around 51k (great deal), while used 15s with a ton of miles for $35k or so (unless you buy a rental). Looks pretty good to me. I see same year X5s with 15k higher msrp for same price. You pay sticker?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
My theory is that half ton SUVs depreciate quickly because there is less demand each year as more buyers move to pickups or crossovers. If you look at pickups especially, resale is great and depreciation is low because demand is always high.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving a friend’s RST recently, I’m even more excited about depreciation. Would like to pick one up in a couple years

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
That’s not depreciation, that’s discount. These things do not depreciate like you think they do. Example: 2006, a 2003 (3 year old) Denali with a $50k sticker could be had for $15-20k. In 2012, a 2007 (5-6 year old) Tahoe LTZ with a sticker of $50k could be had for $20k. Fast forward to today, a 2 year old Tahoe LTZ with a $70k sticker is still $45k. I wouldn’t call that much depreciation really. Especially when you look at what 2007 Tahoe’s are still pulling to this day. Used car market is so screwed up and over priced. Unfortunately we have nobody to blame but the dealers for dumping so much into them but more so ourselves for settling to buy these things.

You also have to figure sticker price vs sell price. If you pay MSRP for these, you’re stupid. Go to another dealer. You almost always get them discounted anyway. So when you look at the discounted SALE price vs what it’s worth on the used market, they don’t drop hardly at all. New is the better buy if you’re looking at a 1-2 year old vehicle with low miles.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Southern Ontario Market, used Full Size SUV's and Pickups, especially the GM ones are very hard to come by, you have to pay a fortune to get one. The Prices have been stubbornly high. Most of our used vehicles are going south to take advantage of the 35 percent difference in the dollar. It is better in the long run for the dealerships to take in used vehicles at a higher rate of value and then turn around and sell to the American Market Brokers in Detroit or Buffalo. You may think that a comparable model with the same options would be 35 percent higher in Canada but it is not. GM and Ford and Dodge and the Japanese will price it out at a considerable discount so that 35 percent difference may only be 7 percent. There has been Used Canadian Vehicles making the lots in different parts of the States with a Dealer added warranty. The Vehicles are virtually identical with the Cadillac Escalade, Yukon (XL) with the Denali trim, Sub and Tahoe with Premier trim most wanted, They have the Digital screen so the US conversion is automatic. The dashes with the fixed gages in them cannot be converted unless the gage cluster is changed. An easy way to tell if you have a Can vehicle is look at the RPO sheet in the Glove Box for option Z49.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was originally going to buy a GMC pickup but they were more money than the Yukon XLs. The XLs in Florida were $5K more than the market in North Carolina so we got one from NC.

My truck's sticker had a price of $58K when new in 2009. It was built in September which was the 2010 model year already so I wonder what the original owner might have paid?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe how bad these trucks depreciate! I owned a few preowned Escaldes and even a Denali so I am well aware of how they drop! BUT I purchased a 2017 Luxury last December and have been watching the market and am SHOCKED by how bad this body style is retaining its value! I am truly blown away!

The more expensive the vehicle in the lineup the worse the depreciation. Over time the bolt ons that make a Denali out of a $40k Tahoe don’t hold value.

But I am fine with that as long as I have power running boards and new car smell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that the 15-18 body style has been so much more problematic than the GMT-800s and GMT-900s that people who are doing their research are holding onto their 800s and 900s because they are such good trucks. Plus, with the still-pending Takata airbag recall on the 900s, a lot of new car dealers won't touch them so they knock people's heads off on trade because it's going to the auction no matter it's condition so people are keeping them instead. I like the 15-18 body style, but I wouldn't touch anything older than an 18 and those trucks don't seem to be ageing well in my opinion so I'm not even sure I'd still want one in 5-10 years. I'm hoping the 2008 I just bought will last 10+ years and I won't have to worry about it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali