Depreciation!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally agree with you’re statement.
One notable exception is the Mercedes G wagon. That drops in value but does not “drop like a brick”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree there are exceptions, Nissan GT-R, lotus exige, Dodge Viper, but those are more limited number cars.

But if you look up a 1-2 year old E550 Mercedes, bmw 550i, 1-2 year old Acura RLX, etc those poor owners Better hope they like holding on to thier cars for a few years but the first few are absolutely brutal.

A long time ago I wanted to trade in my 2010 Escalade for a 750i but when the dealer quoted me 30k less than what I bought it for a year prior. I decided to keep it and still have it to this day, along with my 2017

robphelan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My pharmacist was selling his 2015 S550 - flagship car with 37k miles and still under MB warranty. sticker was $131k new and asking $51k.

CreepinDeth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newest generation of GM SUV's are so outlandishly priced, the only way for them to go, is not just depreciate, but nosedive.

Last new Truck I bought has held it's value somewhat decent (F150 Ecoboost CC 4x4) however, I told my wife i'm DONE
buying BRAND New vehicles, and that's why I went looking for a super clean 2nd Gen Tahoe. The GM motors in the earlier (can't speak for newer) generations were built simpler, and easier to maintain a lifelong product if you kept it clean, and maintained. Kill the motors, replace them with a dime a dozen in boneyards everywhere in America.

Rebuild the transmissions in a weekend. Today's Denali XL and Escalades are pushing $100,000 Condo prices (Positive cash flow), and no SUV is a good investment at those prices. I'd rather buy a used $100,000 exotic vehicle which will at least hold it's value in the realm of that range.

There's no vehicle that has anything remotely close to $30,000 in "Accessories" from base price Value to me. I can't speak for everyone, so that's an opinion. However, they're financing the hell out of them to people going in over their heads.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the Escalade/Denali are ‘just’ a $40k Tahoe with some stuff bolted to them. If you’re looking for a vehicle with lower depreciation, you need to stay at the bottom of the trim levels (Tahoe in the case here).

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....and I'll just keep rocking my old stuff where depreciation is no longer part of the discussion :rofl: Insurance is cheap, yearly property tax is cheap, parts are cheap,..... Life is good :D

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....and I'll just keep rocking my old stuff where depreciation is no longer part of the discussion :rofl: Insurance is cheap, yearly property tax is cheap, parts are cheap,..... Life is good :D
So far, other than some design annoyances, mine has been fairly trouble free as well as the wife's Acadia. The Enclave was a POS that I lost a ton on but it was bought used. Right now my old car is what is costing the most of any of them :shrug:

At Law

Reaction score
I have not found Tahoes to depreciate very much at all--in comparison to their German counter-parts.

I have driven BMW's since I was in high school. I purchased my last brand new BMW in September of 2015. The MSRP was $78,000.00. Its value was $30,000-$32,000 earlier this year with fewer than 10k miles on it.
In only a little over two years, its value had dropped approx. $45,000 from MSRP. (and thats even when I only put 10k miles on it as it sat in my garage).

Tahoes do not depreciate much at all.

The best vehicles / SUV's for low depreciation are the Toyota Landcruisers. Yes, they are very expensive new at $85-$90k MSRP, however, they can be had at $10k off this time of year.
And you can run them for 10 plus years with ease.

I am highly considering going the Landcruiser route.