Denali subwoofer and amp install 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
Hey all,

so she arrived, 6 months later. I am speechless and an amazing truck!

As I was expecting the bose subwoofer is not even in the ballpark. the rest sound ok, I can hear the speakers fighting to create bass and they just can't. I have a fair bit of experience building and wiring some high-end car audio systems back in the 90s and lots of current experience with audiophile home systems. I know things have changed since the 90s:)

Originally I was thinking I would find a place to do a simple sub install, but the more I ask around, the less I trust anyone to work on this thing, they just don't know what they are talking about. I found the Bose sub in the back left quarter panel, and I was surprised to see the fuse box right next to it, got me excited thinking that I could mount AND wire the amp right there off of the fuse box, or close by anyway. Thoughts? I had visions of having to run a power supply all the way to the battery. I suppose that is still probably ideal but I would prefer not to if I can help it, it sure is a far distance. Also, it appears I can just get an amp with high-level inputs and unplug the bose right there?

I plan to run a small 200-400 watt RMS amp and then build a small ported enclosure for a JL 12TW3-D4 2 inch subwoofer. There really is not much room what the 3rd row up.

Any thoughts or experience with the wiring back there on a 21 or 22??

IMG_2654.jpegIMG_2655.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 points:

For the JL W3 speaker, I would recommend an amp with a minimum 500 watts RMS, as that speaker needs some real power to make it sound full.

Check the size of the wire going into that fuse box. Unless it is a heavy gauge wire, #6 or lower, you are still going to have to run a power wire out to that battery to power the amp.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the stock sub? Is it behind the plastic grate to the right of the open panel in your picture? I think I'll just want a slight upgrade from stock so might just look at replacing the stock sub and keep it in the same location so I don't lose space.

OP
OP
JohnnyFamous

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
Where is the stock sub? Is it behind the plastic grate to the right of the open panel in your picture? I think I'll just want a slight upgrade from stock so might just look at replacing the stock sub and keep it in the same location so I don't lose space.
It is, yes. just to the right of the fuse box. I have been unable to locate any "stealth boxes" yet as they haven't been manufactured yet. I reached out to JL audio, the main builder of quality hidden boxes and they said it was "in the works"... I can't wait. I think a good shop could do up a fibreglass box that would fit in there. I got a great deal on this 10" not installed yet, but It can be removed if extra space is required, and certainly will hold me over until something better is made.

IMG_2667.jpg

OP
OP
JohnnyFamous

JohnnyFamous

Reaction score
I was told today that bose systems may have bass attenuation, which lower bass as the volume is turned up to reduce distortion. Any news of this? I would hope not.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told today that bose systems may have bass attenuation, which lower bass as the volume is turned up to reduce distortion. Any news of this? I would hope not.
This seems likely. Ours bumps at lower to moderate volume, but not so much if you crank it up

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really typical of Bose today as well as other upgraded systems, there is usually some processing of the signals which make getting a clean signal for an add on amp a struggle. On my Raptor l, I have been thinking about adding a sub and while it has a B&O system and not Bose, it has the same signal attenuation issue. It was recommended to me to wire in a LC2i off a set of the speakers in stead of trying to get a signal with a piggyback harness at the amp. It seemed to complicated for my uneducated mind so I gave up on it but assume the same process could be applied to the Yukon/Tahoe if you can grab speaker level inputs somewhere to wire in the LC2i.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bose system is tricky and I believe the Denali has the Active Noise Cancellation. Kicker has a sub woofer system for the 2015 to 2019 Yukon compatible with the Bose system (GM p/n 19355506). It also has instructions to disable the ANC. Hopefully they will come out with a sub woofer for 21+ compatible with the bose system. Ljn21 mention LC2i -- I would leave that to the audio gurus.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much space is there under the 2nd row captains? Might just throw a powered sub under there while JL works on their stealth box.

I don’t take delivery for another 4 weeks or so so I can’t just go look.