Aftermarket sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glefevre87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have anyone added an aftermarket sub to the 21’? The 9 speaker Bose definitely leave something to be desired in the bass department. Not looking for anything crazy loud. I would also like a factory look and to not lose any cargo space. I didn’t know if the side panels in the back where hollow on the inside to where you could build in an enclosure to give it a sleek look.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have anyone added an aftermarket sub to the 21’? The 9 speaker Bose definitely leave something to be desired in the bass department. Not looking for anything crazy loud. I would also like a factory look and to not lose any cargo space. I didn’t know if the side panels in the back where hollow on the inside to where you could build in an enclosure to give it a sleek look.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat as you. Didn't want to sacrifice much trunk space but wanted fuller sound. I couldn't find a solution that would work in the lift gate or under the side panels. So I ended up getting one of these, JL Audio 12TW1 PowerWedge+. It has a pretty slim profile, allowing me to place things in front of it or flip it on its back and place things on top of it if needed. I was never a fan of powered subs (but then again, I never gave them a try before this) but I've always trusted the quality of JL Audio, so I gave these ones a bang and I can honestly say it doesn't disappoint. The other nice thing about this is the connections are all quick disconnects, so if you need to remove/reinstall, it's as easy as unplugging/replugging in a matter of seconds.

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the previous gen GM made a kicker branded sub that fit inside the rear 3rd row driver side panel. I am sure it will happen here. I would be curious as to what is in the Cadillac.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you. Didn't want to sacrifice much trunk space but wanted fuller sound. I couldn't find a solution that would work in the lift gate or under the side panels. So I ended up getting one of these, JL Audio 12TW1 PowerWedge+. It has a pretty slim profile, allowing me to place things in front of it or flip it on its back and place things on top of it if needed. I was never a fan of powered subs (but then again, I never gave them a try before this) but I've always trusted the quality of JL Audio, so I gave these ones a bang and I can honestly say it doesn't disappoint. The other nice thing about this is the connections are all quick disconnects, so if you need to remove/reinstall, it's as easy as unplugging/replugging in a matter of seconds.

Never messed with audio components but would love to add this. Can you tell more about how you hook this up in the new tahoe?

Don't need a full tutorial just some general info, super interested in adding a little bit more bass. Thank you.

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never messed with audio components but would love to add this. Can you tell more about how you hook this up in the new tahoe?

Don't need a full tutorial just some general info, super interested in adding a little bit more bass. Thank you.

So I didn’t install this myself, I had my local car audio shop do this for me. Originally I was planning on moving my old wedge style sub enclosure to my new Yukon, but ended up seeing this new powered sub in the shop’s showroom and testing it out. It actually sounded better than my old sub setup. It ended up working out better since there was no external amp taking up space under any of the seats or in the trunk. All the wiring (power, audio, and level control) make a home run to the sub enclosure.EA38E54D-C703-4102-B3FC-51105DD17CB2.jpeg F3C7A760-43CF-4421-BF63-4B4B6E047173.jpeg 911C9C0D-E0A0-4F95-B17B-2D24DD13D94C.jpeg D1DFC652-9A93-4E74-BF53-03F32AACBBFC.jpeg

brentj

Reaction score
Would love to know how these were tied in

Did you have the dealer deactivate the factory active noise cancellation? I read something about that but don't have a source to post. That a sub could not work well if you didn't?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
contact JL & see if they are working on a stealthbox to replace the one inside the center console.
its 2ohm so it will work w/ Bose system
like the ones for '15-'20

i am looking at getting one for my '15 in next few months w/ a XD300/1v2 amp
my bass sounds decent considering the woofer in console is like 6.5", but i want more.

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would love to know how these were tied in

Did you have the dealer deactivate the factory active noise cancellation? I read something about that but don't have a source to post. That a sub could not work well if you didn't?

So I was able to speak with my car audio guy. Excuse my crappy explanation. He mentioned that since I have the Denali, the Denali has the 14-speaker Bose system. The 14-speaker Bose system includes a small (underwhelming) subwoofer located behind in the left side trunk panel. He said since there was already a sub as part of the Denali Bose system, the ANC was already bypassed by default. He explained to me that it was factory disabled because the sub's frequencies would interfere with the ANC.

Now if you have 10-speaker Bose system, there is no factory installed subwoofer behind the trunk panel, therefore the ANC would be enabled by default and you would need the dealer to disable it as there's no way to disable the ANC via the stereo's settings. He said he's seen in the past on previous generation vehicles where some installers would just disconnect the ANC microphones in the rear of the vehicle to bypass it, but he also said going that route can sometimes cause issues with the front mic intermittently working when on phone calls.

Last edited:

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: My car audio installer called me this evening. He says he doesn't think the new Tahoe/Yukons have ANC anymore. Said he worked on two 2021 Chevy Tahoes today with the 10-speaker Bose systems and neither of them had ANC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne