Delco acid leakage? Should I go AGM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ts0293

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a 2013 Escalade CPO still in factory B2B. Seven days after CPO inspection, battery died. Got great service from Cadillac -- technician came to the car on a Sunday morning and replaced the battery no charge. The old battery had sprayed acid on the inside of the fender, the engine, and had corroded the battery tray which is rusting. Rather than let this go on, I washed it all down with Baking soda. Have a new battery tray that I am about to install. HOWEVER, there is already sign of acid leak on the top of the new battery. So if I replace the battery tray, is the Delco OEM battery just going to ruin it again? Should I get a truly sealed AGM instead? What are the long term experiences with Delco batteries? The battery is AC Delco 48HPG.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's now one of the first things I do when we purchase a new to us vehicle. I replaced the battery in the Tahoe after it died, but it didn't spew acid all over the place, but had done so with a previous battery while the PO owned it. I have a new tray, and am awaiting it coming back from the powder coaters before I install it, but it's going under an Optima.

We had one spew all over the positive battery cable on the aux battery on our '02 GMC. I didn't get to it in time. I DID get to the batteries in the Caprice in time. I replaced the aux battery with an Odyssey, and it turned out that the existing aux battery was a Delco AGM, so I moved it over to the primary battery spot to replace the liquid acid battery there.

We have either Optimas or Odyssey batteries in everything one of those batteries will fit. And people will talk crap about Odyssey batteries, but we've had pretty good luck with them. There are several different brands of AGMs out there now, though, as indicated by the Delco reference above. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes