Decided against a 2/4 drop after lots of research- who wishes they had not dropped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had all but made up my mind to do a 2/4 drop when I was replacing my air ride shocks. Like most I spent several hours, actually a few days ready they posts here and other places.

There seemed to be a reoccurring theme with others who have the magna/ air ride z55 suspension that they wished they had not done the drop or it wasn’t level due to many factors.

I ended up replacing shocks, new Eibach front & rear sway bars along with new bushing and front end links.

I’m curious if others ran across this as well or have anything to share that may help someone else who’s deciding?

I appreciate all the info and help from all!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Your decision deserves a reply for sure! IMO, You made the correct/experienced decision to not affect the OEM geometry of your beautiful "road limo". Everything from presidential seceret service to foreign dignitaries choose these vehicles as their urban warfare luxury vehicle. The suspension/ride quality/ versatility and the ability to haul ass if needed over just about any asphalt terrain has alot to do with their decision. Lowering a 6,000lb suv serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever other than aesthetics. Spend those dollars on somthing that will benefit the vehicle. No disrespect to the "low rider" crew! They look cool but you would not want to deal with the harsh ride and bottoming, and parking lot stops, and steep driveway transitions, and road debris, and railroad crossings, and changing a tire, and fender rub, and trick f'king the vehicle autoride, OK ill shut the f up now! LOL!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Lowering a 6,000lb suv serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever other than aesthetics...

I disagree. Aesthetics is subjective. Better handling from lower center of gravity and better fuel economy from improved aerodynamics are two indisputable factors. Lowering could also serve the purpose of making entry and exiting easier for elderly, injured or handicapped passengers.

...Spend those dollars on somthing that will benefit the vehicle...

It all depends on what you want out of your vehicle. The factors listed above could very well be benefits to the vehicle and driver.

...No disrespect to the "low rider" crew! They look cool but you would not want to deal with the harsh ride and bottoming...

A lowered vehicle doesn't have to ride harsh. With these rigs, it's only a problem when it's not done properly, and that's usually just because someone didn't do the free travel mod. There are plenty of rear coil options for a stock, nearly-stock or better-than-stock ride quality at a lowered ride height. For the front, you can drop it around 9" and still have the stock spring and strut. If it were actually drivable at that amount of drop, it'd still ride like stock.

...parking lot stops, and steep driveway transitions, and road debris, and railroad crossings, and changing a tire, and fender rub, and trick f'king the vehicle autoride...

Now, these are also indisputable factors! But, sticking to the original post, a 2/4 drop would present no or very minimal issues.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had all but made up my mind to do a 2/4 drop when I was replacing my air ride shocks. Like most I spent several hours, actually a few days ready they posts here and other places.

There seemed to be a reoccurring theme with others who have the magna/ air ride z55 suspension that they wished they had not done the drop or it wasn’t level due to many factors.

I ended up replacing shocks, new Eibach front & rear sway bars along with new bushing and front end links.

I’m curious if others ran across this as well or have anything to share that may help someone else who’s deciding?

I appreciate all the info and help from all!

I dropped mine about 3/4 (I think it's around 3.5/4.5 actual) and regret nothing. Actually, I plan to go a little lower to a solid 4/5. AutoRide is a good thing, but I'm not missing it. I've driven countless vehicles totalling hundreds of thousands of miles without it and lived to tell it here. I could've had my desired drop and kept the AutoRide shocks and struts, though. I like the Automatic Leveling Control and might be able to have it again with my drop- that's an ongoing project currently on the back burner. Having the drop end up where you want it can be done even with ALC. It doesn't HAVE to be deleted. It's just that many don't understand how the system works or they think that a "leveling kit" (lifting or lowering) means it will sit level with those parts insalled no matter what. Not all vehicles are exactly 1" higher in the rear, so bringing it down an inch more than the front doesn't mean it WILL sit level.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look cool but you would not want to deal with the harsh ride and bottoming, and parking lot stops, and steep driveway transitions, and road debris, and railroad crossings, and changing a tire, and fender rub, and trick f'king the vehicle autoride, OK ill shut the f up now! LOL!

harsh and perception of harsh can be a matter of perspective (have been in lowered vehicles and they still ride better than many 1 ton trucks) , and it can still ride nearly like stock either way. as for debris and crossings, if almost every other car on the road can clear so can a lowered suv.

tire ehh other than maybe the stock jack could be too tall to fit under the frame ( something from another vehicle should fix that) fender rub and autoride would be the biggest concerns I could see being legitimate. maybe my perspective is different from having driven things like a 3rd gen camaro with that long low bumper, or other lowered cars ( low enough that I would drag the belly of the car on medium size speed bumps that the camaro would clear.)

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I appreciate the "experienced replys" above, And your ability to school the elderly with facts and not just stfu old timer! In my day it was caddy's, monte carlos, and impalas that were the choice of the "low riders" and their bragging rights were based upon the amount of sparks that their under carriage could produce passing through an intersection at speed. I respect everyones choice to customize their ride and the fact that you can get in and get a feeling of "fun", "pride" and a little bit of the "im a rock star when i drive this thing" is worth every penny you spend customizing it, You cant take cash with you to the afterlife so jam as many good memories as you can into life cause those go with you! :word:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the "experienced replys" above, And your ability to school the elderly with facts and not just stfu old timer! In my day it was caddy's, monte carlos, and impalas that were the choice of the "low riders" and their bragging rights were based upon the amount of sparks that their under carriage could produce passing through an intersection at speed. I respect everyones choice to customize their ride and the fact that you can get in and get a feeling of "fun", "pride" and a little bit of the "im a rock star when i drive this thing" is worth every penny you spend customizing it, You cant take cash with you to the afterlife so jam as many good memories as you can into life cause those go with you! :word:

I could tell you were an old-schooler! I totally get where you're coming from. But, things are far more advanced these days with customizing, especially lowering. By the way, a lowered truck or car isn't necessarily a "lowrider". Those have wire spoke wheels with undersized tires, usually on hydraulics, and have plush velour interiors with dingleberries across the top of the windshield. :D

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Just to add to the conversation... my 4/6 dropped Burb rides as good or better, depending on your preference, than stock and I also kept the auto leveling for the rearend.

rps20200817_221100_467.jpg

Like Chris said, a 2/4 drop wouldn't be an issue if done properly.

But to each their own.

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on what youre doing with the truck. rode around for a few months with a 4 drop in the rear and wanted to burn the truck to the ground. I load up the rear end quite a bit, the tahoe gets used as it should at home depot and costco, as well as trips with the family. Bottoming out was driving me absolutely insane. raised the rear to a 3 drop and so far it is making a huge difference! Starting to like the truck again.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on what youre doing with the truck. rode around for a few months with a 4 drop in the rear and wanted to burn the truck to the ground. I load up the rear end quite a bit, the tahoe gets used as it should at home depot and costco, as well as trips with the family. Bottoming out was driving me absolutely insane. raised the rear to a 3 drop and so far it is making a huge difference! Starting to like the truck again.

You can have a 4" drop and maintain the factory ride quality, load capacity and damned-near the full range of travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right