Dealer talked me out of leveling kit today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battledenali

Reaction score
So my GMC dealer offered to install a level kit as long as I provided them the kit. But just before install the service manager tells me that he sees Yukon Denali XLs come back for shocks after 5-7,000 miles and the ride goes to hell.

Has anyone had this experience with there Denali mine is a 2017?

Thanks in advance

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
So my GMC dealer offered to install a level kit as long as I provided them the kit. But just before install the service manager tells me that he sees Yukon Denali XLs come back for shocks after 5-7,000 miles and the ride goes to hell.

Thanks in advance

That's sadly just the fate of MRC shocks, Leveling Kit or not there's a chance they will eventually start leaking and need replacing. I'v seen probably dozens of people on here have problems with MRC, even on the newer model years.

If you really want the leveling kit then go for it. if the shocks do start to leak there's a company called X-ineering that offers a "ShockSim" Delete kit that Bypasses MRC, that coupled with a good set of aftermarket coilovers and it'll ride just as good as it did before, if not better.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
the life expectancy of the mrc shocks on the 07-14's is 80-100k, less on the 15+ probably more like 65k but I have seen many reports of them failing at much less

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanically, I don't see how a leveling kit would affect the strut. It's a spacer that goes under or on top of the strut, but the strut itself isn't altered in any way. It's not stretched nor compressed. It's the same as you stepping up on a cinder block or holding one on top of your head- you're taller over all, but your actual height hasn't changed.

With the MRC strut, what I suspect may be happening is the suspension computer may be altering the valving or firmness of the strut since it sees the control arms at a different angle. Maybe it's constantly doing this and that drastically shortens the life of the strut. I'd think that a simple recalibration after the lift is installed to "zero out" the new ride height position would solve this. Or, if you wanna be barbaric, get longer links for the ride height sensors so that they are back at the position they were in before the lift. I did this when I lowered mine- just accurately marked the sensors where they were as it sat before messing with the suspension. After lowering it, I made some shorter link rods that realigned the marks I made on the sensors.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, if you wanna be barbaric, get longer links for the ride height sensors so that they are back at the position they were in before the lift. I did this when I lowered mine- just accurately marked the sensors where they were as it sat before messing with the suspension. After lowering it, I made some shorter link rods that realigned the marks I made on the sensors.

The kit I put on my wifes came with a bracket for the sensors which essentially lengthens them. Ended up not needing a recalibration because of it (no lights on the dash anyway).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan